This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Take comfort weary collegiettes, spring break is just around the corner! With it comes a much needed break from the daily chaos and a chance to clean out everything that’s been weighing you down this semester. We know you started out the new year with the best of intentions but two months down and things have once again started to pile up around you, including your recycling bin, winter clothes collection and unread emails. It’s time to take action! Follow these tips spring clean your semester and you’ll be off to a fresh start once you return from spring break rested, relaxed, and possibly a little bit tan!

Bring it home!

If you’re headed home for the break (and hey no shame in that, free food and your own bed, holla!), then definitely consider taking stock of your room/apartment before you leave. The closet is stop number one. Search out clothes you’ll no longer need now that the weather’s changing and also just think about bring home pieces you haven’t worn at all in the past few months.

One thing is always seem bring home is t-shirts, somehow I acquire about a dozen or so free shirts per semester and before long, my t-shirt drawer is bursting at the seams! Often the shirts will be tied to a recent, memorable event. I don’t want to throw them out, I just don’t need 20 t-shirts a school during the winter! Additionally if you’re in an apartment and you have assorted dishware that you just aren’t using (remember that Wok you bought during your stir-fry phase?) just bring it home for the time being. If you live too far from home or are traveling somewhere else during your break there’s also the option to ship your stuff, UPS’s flat rate boxes are a life saver!

Throw it out!

Step two, just get rid of it! Possibly under emphasised in step one: only bring it home if you absolutely love it. If you don’t love it you’ll probably just end up donating it later so why not save yourself a step? Go through your belongings and recycle old notebooks, sell back old textbooks, throw out any and all junk, and for the love of God stop saving your receipts from Panera three months ago, you can’t return that sandwich! Remember when you’re cleaning shop to make taking out the trash your very last step. Far too often I’ve taken out the week’s trash and then realized I had some nasty leftovers that needed to go. Another thing to remember, your makeup collection should be spring cleaned at least a few times a year. The ingredients used to make mascara expire just like the ingredients in your favorite protein bar. This handy checklist from Real Simple should help you keep up with what products need to be purged from your collection.

Organize Your Academics

Your room isn’t the only thing getting messy this time of year. Chances are your notes aren’t as organized as they once were and your computer’s file folders have been abandoned for the convenient save-everything-to-the-desktop approach. Time to reign it in sister!

The number one tip for academic success in college is to be organized. Not studying for eight hours a night, or visiting every single office hour your professor holds, just being organized! I’m sure you stated out with a system in mind, and if you’re a few semesters in like myself you probably have a good idea of which systems works for you and which don’t. However, take this spring cleaning as a chance to reevaluate your choices. I just recently decided to start typing my notes in class after three semesters of refusing to do so. It is so much easier people! Though in fairness this is my first semester sans math, so you can see where I was coming from. Additionally consider incorporating tech into your organization routine. Google calendar saves my life on a daily basis and Dropbox makes it so easy to access my files when transitioning from class computer, to work computer, to iPad and anything in between.

Deep Clean Everything

It’s not fun but it has to be done. In dorm rooms it’s easy to let the dishes pile up, as the closest sink can often be several floors away. Another fun one is the recycling bin jenga you play with your roommate, hoping eventually the other one will crack and try to take out the overflowing container. Personally I enjoy a good cleaning session, and some upbeat music or your favorite Disney movie on in the background can always help speed the process along.

Pinterest is full of fantastic checklists and although often geared for a full sized house, you can easily modify them to be applicable to your room or apartment. At UNC you can even get most of the necessary cleaning supplies for free by checking them out from your community office if you live on campus. If you live off campus take a quick trip to Target and stock up on some cute cleaning supplies (really), also don’t be afraid to buy off brand cleansers/disinfectants, they work just as well!

Bring in Some Spring

Your room if finally clean! You’ve banished those fall semester dust bunnies and your bathroom is sparkling brighter than the day you moved in. The bags are all packed for your spring break adventuring, but is something missing?

Some consider spring cleaning simply a way to chuck out the old, but I also consider it an opportunity to welcome in the new. When you arrive back from your travels snap up some fresh flowers. You did get rid of that wilting rose your boy-who-is-a-friend got you for Valentines day, correct? Once the bright blooms are in place hunt down some brand new art, maybe try the Ackland Store or the on-sale posters at Urban Outfitter. Buy a new scent of Febreze to spray around the house (or on your dirty laundry) and update the backgrounds on both your laptop and phone. Who knows, with all these positive life changes and the warmer weather you may even take up jogging! Just kidding. Enjoy your revamped spring semester collegiettes, and remember summer will be here before you know it! HCXO

Megan McCluskey is a recent graduate from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a B.A. with Distinction in Journalism and Mass Communication, and a second major in French. She has experience as a Campus Correspondent and Contributing Writer for Her Campus, a Public Relations Consultant for The V Foundation, an Editorial Assistant for TV Guide Magazine and Carolina Woman magazine, a Researcher for MTV, and a Reporter and Webmaster for the Daily Tar Heel. She is an obsessive New England Patriots and Carolina basketball fan, and loves spending time with her friends and family (including her dogs), going to the beach, traveling, reading, online shopping and eating bad Mexican food.