Ricky MacMahon ’12

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Name: Ricky MacMahon
Hometown: Chapel Hill, NC
Year: Junior
Major: Business
Relationship Status: Single

What is your idea of the “perfect date”?
Probably just going somewhere fun to hang out. Actually… if I could get a girl to go paintballing with me that would be pretty awesome.

What organizations are you involved in around campus?
As much as I don’t want to admit it, I’m usually the person that goes to all the first meetings, but then disappears. They all look interesting and fun at first, but I just can’t seem to find the time to keep up. I’m hoping to get more involved, though. I grew up in Chapel Hill so it means a lot to see student organizations helping the community.

What type of girl catches your attention?
The crazy, outgoing ones definitely catch my attention. I can’t help it. But to be honest, I like nice, laid-back girls who aren’t afraid to laugh at themselves and have fun.

What are you passionate about?
Miracle Mondays. It’s a charity that my brother and I started about three months ago. The goal is to raise money to help create fun, healing environments inside children’s hospitals. Most people don’t realize that a hospital room is an important part of the healing process, especially for kids. It’s hard to work on that during school, but if you see me zoned out in the middle of class, I’m probably just planning events and thinking up new ideas for the hospital rooms… or just sleeping.

What do you want to do after graduation?
Ideally, I would love to keep working on Miracle Mondays for a while. I really enjoy entrepreneurship and also helping others. Miracle Mondays is a job where I can do both. So maybe I’ll spend a few years doing that and then go to grad school somewhere. I did spend this past summer in NYC and promised myself that I would live there for at least a year when I get out of college. So who knows, maybe I’ll end up doing something up there.

The reason why I choose to pick Ricky as my campus cutie is because if you sit down and talk to him, you can tell he is sweet and passionate! He uses his free time to work for Miracle Mondays, a nonprofit organization whose mission is to decorate children’s hospital rooms to make them feel more at home. He dedicates most of his time to helping children fight their sicknesses. If that doesn’t melt your heart, I do not know what will!

Sierra Piland is a Journalism – Graphic Design and Communication Studies – Media Production double major at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, class of 2012. She is President of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors (CAFME), the Ed2010 branch at UNC-CH and Design Director of UNC’s popular fashion magazine Kaleidoscope. She has also been on staff with The Daily Tar Heel design department. This past summer, she interned with MTV Networks working in the .com department of CMT (Country Music Television) and is currently an intern at Southern Weddings Magazine. Sierra has a passion for art and design but is also thoroughly interested in filmmaking and the entertainment industry. When she has time, she loves to get away to the beach or mountains with friends and family.