Rent the Runway: An interview with UNC’s own “It Girl”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Unless you’ve been living under a rock the past few years, you know what Rent the Runway (RTR) is. However, as a quick recap: RTR is a website that lets you rent designer dresses at a fraction of the real cost. Dresses can be rented for just a few days and once you’re done, you just send it back in the pre-paid garment bag and RTR takes care of all dry cleaning services- so easy! RTR allows you to look your best without worrying about your bank account.

What you may not know, however, is that RTR has a program specifically geared towards students and fashionistas like us! Rent the Runway has it’s own representatives on a lot of college campuses with great opportunities for students to look their best for less through their “It Girl” program.  I got the scoop from sophomore Meredith Babb who works as a Rent the Runway It Girl, and she told me all about the benefits of the It Girl program and how you can become one, too!

What is your name? Meredith Babb

What is your job title? Rent the Runway It Girl

What does the “It Girl” program entail? Rent the Runway is traditionally used to rent one dress at a time, but the It Girl program allows girls who want to dress well all the time to have unlimited access to a closet of dresses that are on your specific campus each month!

What kind of dresses do you have in your closet? Every month I’m sent dozens of dresses from RTR, from top designer labels like Herve Leger, Tibi, Diane von Furstenberg, Proenza Schouler and more! The dresses work for formals, cocktails, nice dinners, and going out on the weekend!

How does a girl subscribe? Good question! Once a girl decides she wants to subscribe for one month, she picks several dress preferences from the It Girl’s Online Hearts page.

What kind of access will a subscriber have to these dresses? Dresses arrive the first week of every month and it’s wear wear wear after that! The unlimited access literally means that a subscriber can wear every dress in the closet as many times as she wants.

Is it just dresses? Actually no! There are also several accessories, like statement necklaces and bangle sets, that are included in the Closet as well.

How do I sign up? Easy. Contact me at mrbabb@live.unc.edu to get started!

So ladies, all you have to do is sign up and you, too, can have access to the dozens of designer dresses and accessories just waiting to be worn around Chapel Hill. Now what are you waiting for!

More info can be found here.

Melissa Paniagua is a senior journalism major at The University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, specializing in public relations. She is currently a fashion market intern at ELLE Magazine. On campus, Melissa acts as the Her Campus president as well as the vice president of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors, UNC’s Ed2010 chapter. In the past, she has been an intern for Southern Weddings Magazine and a contributing writer for Her Campus. Melissa has an appreciation for all things innovative, artful and well designed and hopes to work in marketing for a women’s lifestyle magazine in the future!