This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

When you think of Aly and AJ, your mind probably pictures something like this.

But that was in the mid-2000s, back when they were starring in Disney Channel Movies like Cow Belles and releasing singles like “Potential Breakup Song” and “Like Whoa”. Ah, to be eight years old again and without any worries about finals. But what are they doing in 2019? Surprisingly (at least, to me), the sisters are still making music!

Unlike their bubble gum Disney-machine music of the mid-2000s, Aly and AJ’s new music takes a completely different direction. They first came back on the music scene with their EP, Ten Years in 2017 – as in the ten years since they last released any extended plays. Ten Years was the duo’s first release since departing for Hollywood Records in 2010, and the song was full of synth and electronic drums, and it reminded me of the ’80s-inspired sound that is rising in popularity.

The cover art for Aly and AJ’s 2017 EP, Ten Years.

Their first single after their hiatus was “Take Me,” a single full of synths that make you want to dance. Aly and AJ sing about waiting for their crush to make the first move, and I have never related more to the LA-based sister duo until now. Their music video is wonderfully mind-boggling, with Aly and AJ as deadly vampires wreaking havoc at a house. It’s even better than it sounds. 

But that was two years ago. So what’s happening now?

Well, Aly and AJ are promoting their upcoming EP, Sanctuary. They recently released their first single, “Church,” and dropped the music video last week. They also have a list of tour dates, including a show in Carrboro on May 12 at 8 p.m. at Cat’s Cradle! You can buy tickets and learn more about the concert here. “Church” is full of the synth, electronic drums and echoed singing from Ten Years, but sounds more polished. This fresh sound makes me want to dance along whenever I listen to it, brightening my mood, while I work away at final projects in my dorm lobby. Have I been aggressively bobbing my head, mouthing the lyrics and drawing attention myself? Yes, and it’s completely warranted!

One of the stunning shots from the “Church” music video, which was shot by Alex Ross Perry on 16mm film. (Source)

This Friday, they’re dropping another single, “Don’t Go Changing,” so be on the lookout! My ears are ready, and my dorm lobby better prepare itself for some epic jamming out.

Promo image for Aly and AJ’s upcoming single, “Don’t Go Changing” (Source). Who knew khakis could look so stylish?

Outside of just really liking their new sound, I love that Aly and AJ are still pursuing music, now on their own terms. This new sound shows that Aly and AJ probably didn’t have much creative control when it came to their earlier music, and the freedom of working independently allows them to work outside the barriers placed upon them by major record labels and the squeaky-clean personas necessary for Disney stars. Also, their music videos are pretty bada$$. In their music videos and promo images, Aly and AJ appear completely confident in their bodies, staring headstrong into the camera without any shame. They look powerful.

Aly and AJ show that when women support each other, when we lift each other up, we can be successful. So support your fellow women, and go stream some new Aly and AJ music! You can also see them on their upcoming tour. And yes – they are visiting Cat’s Cradle in Chapel Hill/Carboro! I hope to see my fellow friends and feminists at the concert!

Gennifer Eccles is an alumna at UNC Chapel Hill and the co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Chapel Hill. She studied English and Women & Gender Studies. Her dream job is to work at as an editor for a publishing house, where she can bring her two majors together to help publish diverse, authentic and angst-ridden romance novels.