Reasons Why You Should Watch Beyoncé’s ‘Formation’ Video

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Move over Kim K, because last Saturday before the Super Bowl, Beyoncé dropped a new music video and actually broke the Internet. Let me remind you that we haven’t heard new music from Queen B since her last single ‘7/11’ in 2014, so this was personally the best early V-Day gift I could have ever received. If you haven’t already heard the new single ‘Formation,’ you can listen and watch the video here.

Since this surprise and her performance of the song at the Super Bowl halftime show, people everywhere have been talking, Tweeting, Instagraming, and writing their thoughts about the video. Some believe that the ‘Formation’ video should be considered as a Black Woman’s anthem or a #BlackLivesMatter inspired protest. Others believe that Beyoncé has a created a problem by using the backdrop of New Orleans and images evoking Hurricane Katrina as “props,” just to further her career. No matter your opinion, it is important to be aware and talk about others’ ideas about the video. Although I hate to admit it, popular culture, music and the lives of celebrities can actually impact how we think or feel about a specific topic.

If you love Beyoncé, but have yet to see ‘Formation,’ here are some reasons you should definitely go watch it now!

1. The video itself contains politically significant and relevant imagery.

Throughout the video, it’s clear that Beyoncé is trying to make a statement about past events such as the shootings of Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown, the trauma of Hurricane Katrina, and the corruption we’ve seen within U.S. law enforcement. The incredible imagery of this video also points to larger issues that have shaped black communities such as the roles southern black women have been forced to play and the Black Lives Matter Movement.

2. The choreography is on point.

Beyoncé is not only known for her insane vocal talent, but her success as a performer and dancer. It’s no surprise that ‘Formation’ also includes some killer choreography that you and your girlfriends will want to try to replicate for hours on end.

3. ‘Formation’ has an endless amount of bomb lyrics you can use to caption your next Instagram pic.

We all try to be witty, funny, clever, or punny when captioning our pictures online because our words also leave an impression. But, when it’s just one of those days where all your writing abilities fly out the window and you are tempted to either leave the caption blank or just use an emoji, you turn to song lyrics. Not just any lyrics though – they have to be Instagram worthy. Good thing ‘Formation’ leaves us with these lines of gold:

I’m so reckless when I rock my Givenchy dress (stylin’)

I came to slay, bitch.

I got hot sauce in my bag, swag.

Earned all this money but they never take the country out me

I dream it, I work hard, I grind ’til I own it.

I twirl all my haters

Sippin’ Cuervo with no chaser

OK, ladies, now let’s get in formation

You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation

Always stay gracious, best revenge is your paper

4. Beyonce’s outfits, hair and makeup are all on fleek

In the video, Beyoncé’s various looks and outfits undoubtedly pay tribute to the South. We see white lace, wide-brim hats, braids, bows, long dresses and more.  Even though Beyoncé doesn’t wear her “Givenchy dress” in the video, she does rock looks by various other designers such as Gucci, Zimmerman, Fendi, Chanel, Fallon, and Alessandra Rich. Click here for more details.  

5. The song in general is so powerful that after listening you’ll feel like B herself.

I don’t know about you, but I have trouble not dancing, moving or singing along to the song when I’m listening. “Formation” will make you feel powerful, confident and strong even if you aren’t a Black woman from the South or don’t have parents from Louisiana and Alabama or haven’t experienced the trauma of Hurricane Katrina or felt threatened from the recent shootings Beyoncé references in her video. One of the reasons why the song is so impactful is the way it can make people feel and want to join the conversation she has created.

To read further about ‘Formation’ and what people have been talking about, here are some articles I recommend reading:

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2016/02/10/466178725/in-beyonc-s-formation-a-song-for-the-bama

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2016/02/beyonc_s_formation_exploits_new_orleans_trauma.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ernest-owens/appropriation-capitalism-_b_9184136.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/07/arts/music/beyonce-formation-super-bowl-video.html?_r=0

What are your thoughts about the video? Tell us what you think below!

Image Sources:

All the pictures are screenshots from the video!