The Pit As We Know It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

With such a large campus and student population it can be difficult to know about important events on campus or meet up with friends.  “The Pit” at UNC-Chapel Hill is a central location that students frequent to combat these reasons. 

This week, an important event advertised in “The Pit” is Dance Marathon, a non-profit student organization benefiting the N.C. Children’s Hospital.  The organization was recruiting new members in “The Pit”.  Sally Wheeler, the Supply and Logistics Committee Chair, said: “UNC Dance Marathon has completely defined my college career.  It provides an opportunity for normal college students to make a big difference in the lives of sick children.”  The organization’s Overall Coordinator said: “Being in “The Pit” is a huge part of recruitment.  It’s such a lively, fun, interactive atmosphere that is central to campus, which really epitomizes UNC-DM as an organization.” 

(Left to Right): Maggie Riddell-Morale and Recruitment Chair; Gracie Beard-Overall Coordinator; Sally Wheeler-Supply and Logistics Chair

Many students sit on the steps and socialize.  Friday is an especially popular day to hang out in “The Pit”.  Four sophomores were chatting on the brick steps.  McKinley Keley said: “I like hanging out in the pit because I get to see everyone.  With all of the events being advertised there is always so much to talk about and learn.”  Tara Gore cut in, saying: “Random stuff you see in “The Pit” just comes up and begins conversations.  I always meet new people here.” 

(Left to Right): McKinley Keley-sophomore; Tara Gore-Sophomore; Nicole Wilkinson-sophomore; Dominique Alston-sophomore

Two Cornerstone members sat on the steps in front of Lenoir catching up for the first time since they have been back to school.  Caroline Jones chuckled when asked why she likes “The Pit”.  She said: “We were actually just talking to each other saying that we love to people watch!”  She continued, “I think even though the community at Carolina is so big, “The Pit” makes it smaller and more close-knit.  It has been an essential component to my Carolina experience.”

(Left to Right): Gina Wall-Sophomore; Caroline Jones-Senior

Moral of the Story: Bored on campus? Want to know about new events going on? You know where to go!

Brittany is a senior Visual Communications major in the UNC-CH School of Journalism and an Entrepreneurship minor, originally from Frederick, MD. This summer she interned in the fashion department of O, The Oprah Magazine in NYC. She has interned at the Durham Herald-Sun Newspaper and as a multi-media producer for the UNC Foreign Language Department and School of Education. Brittany enjoys snowboarding, rock climbing, water sports and all things to do with the beach. In the future she hopes to work in the magazine industry, travel and continue practicing yoga.