The Perfect Match: How To Find The Right Foundation For Your Face

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

With the sheer volume of drugstore and department store products, shopping for cosmetics can be an utterly terrifying experience. The right foundation can transform your makeup routine, so it’s important to know you’re using the right one. Foundations come in countless formulas and varieties, but this guide can help you decide which is right for you.

Oily Skin:

Stick to oil-free powders and liquids. The oil-free foundations and mineral powders help absorb oil and leave skin shine-free. Foundations with salicylic acid (an ingredient in some facial cleansers) also help to treat breakouts that often accompany oily skin. Liquids will provide a full coverage while powder coverage can be adjusted to your preference. These oil-free liquids and powders will provide a matte finish that even looks great in photographs, so break out that camera smile!

Try: Laura Mercier’s oil-free foundation

Dry Skin:

Oil-based foundations are best for this skin-type thanks to their hydrating formulas. The thicker, richer consistency delivers moisture which helps replenish skin. Liquid foundations provide full coverage. Helpful hint: after application, blot face to wipe off excess and avoid rub-off during the day.

Try: Neutrogena’s Healthy Skin Liquid Makeup

Combination Skin:

A powder foundation is your best bet. Powder lets you apply liberally where you need the most coverage and less where you don’t, without leaving visible lines. Loose and mineral powders provide sheer and natural coverage. Pressed powder gives slightly less coverage, but is more compact and transportable for touch-ups on the go.

Try: Bare Minerals Ready Wear pressed powder or Bare Minerals Matte Foundation

Choosing Your Shade:

If you’re anything like me, at some point you’ve stood for what seems like an hour trying to decide between two shades of foundation. The pre-packaged cosmetics in the drugstore make it hard to test out different shades for an accurate color match. Head to a department store makeup counter where you can swipe a few streaks of different foundation shades along your jawline or inner arm (stay away from hands and other areas that have been most exposed to the sun). Step into natural sunlight and whichever shade most blends with your skin is your best match.

Your skin type and tone may change from season to season. Some are more prone to dry skin in the harsh winter months and shine in the summer heat. Your sun-kissed summer glow may require a darker shade foundation than you used during the winter. Adjust your foundation type and shade according to these changes, so you can get optimal use out of your makeup, feel and look your best. You choose your wardrobe based on the weather, so why not treat your cosmetics the same way?

The search for the perfect foundation match takes time and, unfortunately, money. But the right foundation can completely transform your makeup routine and confidence. The sooner you start the search, the closer you’ll be to flawless-looking skin.

Melissa Paniagua is a senior journalism major at The University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, specializing in public relations. She is currently a fashion market intern at ELLE Magazine. On campus, Melissa acts as the Her Campus president as well as the vice president of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors, UNC’s Ed2010 chapter. In the past, she has been an intern for Southern Weddings Magazine and a contributing writer for Her Campus. Melissa has an appreciation for all things innovative, artful and well designed and hopes to work in marketing for a women’s lifestyle magazine in the future!