An Open Letter To The College Senior Struggling To Understand Their Future

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Hey you,

Look at you, you college senior! You have come SO FAR (and you’re definitely going to go even further). 

Now, I know that senior year sounds scary — trust me on this one; I’m also experiencing that first-hand stress this year too, but it’s going to work out alright. I have faith in that, and I think that you should too. I also know that you’re probably being pulled in a million different directions by others right now, as well as by yourself. I get that, and I also know that it makes everything going on just a little bit more complicated (if that’s even possible).

The point is, you’re at an interesting point in life. After graduation, you could pursue higher education, get a job, take a year off, explore the world — the possibilities are endless. Moreover, the ball is in your court on this one. Your world (that’s probably been pretty stable in terms of what to do and where to go, until this point) is about to turn upside down. 

I can see how that would make you feel like you’re being pulled in a million different directions, and I’m sure you’re struggling to choose one path as the best out of the millions of options at your fingertips. I relate to that first-hand, and I want you to know that things are going to be okay.

Regardless of the outcome, you have your entire life ahead of you. Regardless of whether you land that dream job, get into the graduate program you’ve always wanted to get into or make the decision to explore the world or, even, stay right where you are, things are going to work out for the best. You have time to work out all of the little flaws and mishaps with your future plans, and things are going to work out fine.

Life can be tricky sometimes, but that does not mean that we need to worry too much about the future. 

I may or may not have had about five crises in the past year, but the end of college probably isn’t the ideal time to have a life crisis. We can save those for later. 

Just know that things are going to work out alright. If you’re wondering what physical evidence I have to back that claim up, I sadly can’t provide any in this situation. However, sometimes, you have to have a little faith. I have faith that we’re all going to have a wonderful senior year, and I have faith that the future is a bright, beautiful world full of wonder and possibilities beyond imagination.

Have some faith too. It’s time to take a deep breath and not be afraid to jump right in — your senior year is waiting for you.

Sincerely, 

Another College Senior

Ashley Oldham

Chapel Hill '20

Ashley Oldham is a senior English and Comparative Literature and Sociology double major at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. In her free time she enjoys drinking way too much coffee, attempting to write the next great American novel, and going on spontaneous road trips, all in the name of procrastinating on whatever schoolwork she currently has to do. To see what she's doing next (and get bombarded with cat pictures) follow her on Instagram @ashleyyerinno.