Online Shopping Guide for the Broke College Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

One of the best compliment a girl can get is the “oh my gosh, where did you get your outfit?” confidence booster. When my friends and other girls on campus ask me where I get my clothes, I tell them all the same thing. Online shopping! It saves so much time and money when compared to mall traffic and prices and ships right to your door. Follow these online shopping tips that are perfect for a college girl’s budget!

Alloy

The first site I would recommend is Alloy Clothing. You can sign up for its mailing address and receive exclusive discounts on many clothing items. This is hands down the best website for summer clothes shopping, especially if you’re looking for bathing suits for sporting on the pool or by the beach this spring break! The bathing suits are cheap, yet long lasting and not to mention super cute. You have the option to buy them as separate pieces, which gives you the choice to mix and match tops and bottoms as you please.

Forever 21

The second site I would recommend is Forever 21. This store has everything from business clothes to everyday clothing and the best part is that they always have sales. If you sign up for their mailing list you get exclusive discounts and emails when they receive new apparel. However, you have to remember that with a store like this you absolutely get what you paid for. If a shirt originally costs $15.99 and it’s put on sale, know that it’s not quality that you are paying for. Definitely try out Forever 21 for some inexpensive going out clothes or that new trendy item you’ve been contemplating trying out. Cheap isn’t always a bad thing! Also, remember to read the sizing chart carefully because the sizes may run too big or too small.

Charlotte Russe

The last site I would recommend is Charlotte Russe. This store is similar to a Forever 21 but the two have a different style to their clothing. Specifically, Charlotte Russe carries a larger shoe supply. Some of their shoes are exclusive to online shoppers and are not even sold in the store. I would venture to say that the shoes at Charlotte Russe are a little better quality and have lasted longer than the ones at Forever 21. Charlotte Russe also has a mailing list where you can sign up for and receive exclusive deals, which makes shopping online a lot more convenient.

To boot, all three of these store have a clearance section on their website. You can always look through there and add any promotions they might have sent you through email for an additional percentage off. We all are on a college budget and every little penny you save can ease off some stress. So if you need a blazer for a last-minute interview or just want to spice up your spring wardrobe, try ordering a few pieces from these stores and save a little money while you’re at it!

Vanessa Martinas was born on February 3, 1990 in Paterson, New Jersey. She is of Dominican decent and she speaks English and Spanish fluently. She is a senior journalism major at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, specializing in electronic communication. Currently she is a reporter for Carolina Week, UNC's broacasting news show.
Melissa Paniagua is a senior journalism major at The University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, specializing in public relations. She is currently a fashion market intern at ELLE Magazine. On campus, Melissa acts as the Her Campus president as well as the vice president of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors, UNC’s Ed2010 chapter. In the past, she has been an intern for Southern Weddings Magazine and a contributing writer for Her Campus. Melissa has an appreciation for all things innovative, artful and well designed and hopes to work in marketing for a women’s lifestyle magazine in the future!