Nathan Mackay ’11

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Hometown: Atlanta, GA
Year: Senior, ’11
Major: Economics

Favorite YoPo Flavor: This is critical about who I am. Peanut Butter-ish stuff mixed with things.

Favorite Place to Study: Bedroom. I have to study comfortably.

FunFact: I can juggle while riding a unicycle

Motto: Always seek self-improvement

What are your summer plans? I’m going on a random road trip visiting all my friends.

What about post-graduation plans? Teach for America in Florida

Any advice for rising freshman? Get involved. Don’t waste time sitting in your room. So many awesome things can happen from something you didn’t expect.

Advice for rising seniors? Start looking for jobs early.

Favorite style on a girl? “It’s not the clothes you wear from head to toe; it’s what you wear from ear to ear.” That’s a quote from Annie, but that’s not really all I’m talking about. I’m also talking about personality.

Favorite chick flick? Clueless is great.  I almost quoted that in a recent debate, “It does not say RSVP on the Statue of Liberty!”

Favorite memory at UNC? Carolina Kick Off. It was the start of it all.

Nathan’s perspective on:
Puppies: Awesome. Amazing. They’re God’s little angels.
Chocolate: I’ve heard ladies have a thing for it, and that’s very admirable.
Fast Food: Awesome in that it’s convenient, bad because it’s not healthy.
Pink: It’s a color often associated with females.
Theater: Awesome.

Nathan Mackay is not your average Pre-Med student. He’s an economics major with an entrepreneurship minor. He spends his free time training in CrossFit or in the theater acting. Nathan helped start CrossFit at UNC and is dedicated to a healthy lifestyle. In case you were wondering, Nathan says that the best place to eat around campus is Cosmic because it has the best calorie-to-price ratio that includes nutrition. Nathan trains nearly every day of the week and focuses on strengthening his weaknesses and eating nutritiously.

When he’s not busy training or studying, Nathan is probably in the theater rehearsing for a show. He was recently in LAB!’s production of “Taming of the Shrew” as the shrew’s father, Baptista. He also recently finished his fourth film for a friend’s film thesis where he played a general. Nathan said that theater helps with speaking and thinking on your feet, a skill that has improved his debate skills (yet another activity Nathan participates in).

One of the things Nathan enjoys doing in his spare time is going to guest speaker lectures on campus. “There are so many awesome people that can be life-changing. It can spark a change in how you view life.”

Nathan plans on moving to Florida this summer to teach calculus with Teach for America. After that, he’ll see where he ends up, but would like to pursue something with entrepreneurship.

This week’s Campus Cutie is passionate and driven, but he’s also pretty funny. I can’t help but share a few of the random quotes he said during our interview:

“I’ve contributed to campus by helping start cross-fit, acting and smiling at people.”

“When I was in boy scouts I did 150 nights of camping and got a little patch. I like my time with mother nature.”

“I just want to learn forever and then never use my knowledge.”

“I say a lot. I just talked about saying a lot.”

“Things can’t happen if you are sitting in your room. Although some awesome YouTube videos can be watched.”

“UNC girls are more intellectual than the average bear. Does anyone say that? Your dad does? Great. I probably got it from him. What’s the question again? UNC girls. There’s a wide range. Lots of different flavors. Like YoPo. Some people like peanut butter.”

“I’m not making any sense. It is important to smile. Smiling makes you happy. Try to frown. It won’t make you happy.”

“You’ll learn nothing and everything at the exact same time. Don’t interview people that like to talk.”

“I had a stuffed cheetah I took everywhere way past the age I was supposed to. His name was Lightening. It was a good relationship.”

“I like girls who are girls and girls who are not afraid to be non-girly.”

Sophomore, PR major at UNC