This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Earlier this year, Twitter user @ChichiAi released a parody of Bonnie Tyler’s “I Need a Hero” and titled the video “I Need a Himbo.” Use of the term “himbo” has dramatically increased in the past year, particularly on Twitter, Tumblr and Tiktok.

The term “himbo” is a combination of the words “him” and “bimbo,” the latter of which has a surprisingly complex etymology. “Himbo” was originally similar in connotation to its misogynist counterpart — easy on the eyes but generally dumb or frivolous. However, a more recent definition from Urban Dictionary describes a himbo as “a man who is generally stupid but tries hard to be a respectful man.” This is not to be confused with a simp, who will feign respect, support or submission for women with the sole intention of receiving sexual gratification in return.

In its context today, a himbo can be defined more as a masculine-leaning individual who lacks the needless aggression of toxic masculinity. His “dumbness” lies not in a lack of intelligence, but rather in an endearing level of innocence that comes with the unwavering faith of someone who is pure of heart.

In her himbo appreciation manifesto, Twitter user @sqiouyilu says what sets a himbo apart from your average beefcake is that, although he has the athletic physicality, “his greatest weapon is his optimism, which can even defeat narrative conventions.”

Here’s a list of some of my favorite himbos in celebration of unproblematic men in fiction.

Kronk From Emperor’s New Groove

It’s impossible not to love this man. He loves his spinach puffs, he’s friendly to all the woodland creatures and he’s a good guy at heart. It may have taken him a little while to learn to listen to the small white angel on his good shoulder, but we all had the faith that he could make the right choice in the end.

Bolin From The Legend of Korra

Bolin is one of the greatest examples of a man with a healthy sense of masculinity. He’s strong and sure, but he’s also funny, kind and considerate. He respects boundaries and takes romantic rejection with immediate grace that should be expected from any man who hears the word no. His critical thinking skills may not be the best, but he always makes sure to admit when he’s messed up and apologize. He’ll do anything for the people he cares about, and he won’t expect anything in return either.

Steve Harrington From Stranger Things

Okay, hear me out on this one. He may not have the physique of a himbo, but he has a hundred percent of the energy. He may have started off as your typical self-absorbed high school prep, but by season three, Steve Harrington is a gold-tier himbo. He’s definitely not the smartest of the bunch, but our doting single mother with a dish towel on his shoulder would do anything for his six adopted kids. Also, I’ll keep things simple to avoid too many spoilers: his unconditional love and support for his best friend, Robin, fills me with an unbelievable amount of happiness.

Alistair From Dragon Age: Origins

This one might be a little lesser-known, but this man — this man! He is the definition of a himbo-made person. He is like a golden retriever turned man. His goofy personality and loveable innocence make him an endearing best friend — or a faithful and compassionate lover, depending on your choices in the game — with a heart of pure gold. He may have his playfully dumb moments, but his commitment to his morals and his willingness to sacrifice anything for the people he cares about makes you fall for him with your whole heart.

Percy Jackson From Percy Jackson and the Olympians

Again, not buff or large in build, but I will stand by this choice with my own life. Percy may not be the biggest or the smartest — the nickname “seaweed brain” speaks for itself — but he is kind, selfless and loyal to a fault. Twelve-year-old me would have done anything for this boy. He shaped my standards in men throughout my entire adolescence — and rightfully so. Percy Jackson is the OG himbo, and that’s just the tea.

I’d like to add that as fun as the term is — and as refreshing as it is to celebrate healthier alternatives to toxic masculinity — one should be careful with its use, especially when referring to people who aren’t fictional characters. Terms such as “himbo” and similar stereotypes often present varying effects depending on different gender dichotomies. I highly doubt that the use of the term “bimbo” would incite the same celebratory attitude, and the sad reality is that there are very few positive stereotypes in the world, especially for feminine-leaning individuals.

On the other hand, I’d love to see “bimbo” reclaimed as a positive term. Women like Elle Woods in Legally Blonde deserve more recognition for their steadfast optimism and endearing innocence — not ignorance, our girl got a 179 on her LSAT — combined with their ability to conquer the world while wearing designer heels.

Kyra Rickman

Chapel Hill '21

Kyra Rickman is an aspiring writer from Morehead City and a senior studying English and Studio Art at UNC-Chapel Hill. Her love for the ocean back home is almost as big as her love for words, and her dream job is to work in a publishing house where she can write and illustrate her own novels.