This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

As you all know, Halloween looks a little different this year, and it can be pretty difficult to get into the spirit knowing there won’t be parties, trick-or-treating, or other fun and spooky activities. Reverse trick-or-treating is a great way to show your friends that you’re thinking of them by delivering some sweet treats this season. 

Helpful Tip: If you choose to reverse trick-or-treat, it’s always best to make sure no one has any allergies to the goodies you plan to drop off!

In early September, I came up with the idea of doing a reverse trick-or-treat this year. I headed to my closest Target, searched the $1 section for cute goodie bags and bought a big bag of candy. I then decided that I wanted to make my sweet treats more personal, so I added a baked element. Then, since that clearly wasn’t a big enough project for me, I added a second baked element. 

I’ve been waiting to do this for a while, so I’m very excited to make my treats and goody bags this Halloween. As I waited, I made a plan to make sure my task goes smoothly.

Plan

In my bags, I plan to have a variety of candy, a chocolate chip cookie and a sugar cookie. For the chocolate chip, I’m using melted white chocolate to make a spider web on top. For the sugar cookie, I’m planning to do some colored royal icing for decoration. 

I managed to find a super cheap icing decorating kit at TJ Maxx for between $5-10, and it’ll be a key component for my decorating success. 

For my chocolate chip cookie decoration inspiration, I’m using this image. My plan is to make my dough a day in advance so that it has time to chill before it’s baked. I’m also going to make a sugar cookie dough and icing to dress my goodie bags up!

As far as candy goes, you can shop at chain stores like Target, Walmart or Food Lion to find the best candy for the best prices. You can even buy in bulk from Sam’s Club or Amazon!

The goodie bags I picked out are from Target. I couldn’t find the exact set, but here is a similar package.   

Execution

Photo by Porapak Apichodilok from Pexels

If you’re planning to do a lot of goody bags, it might be helpful to break them up over several days or use a couple of weekends. For example, you can take some time to write names on bags and divide the candy you bought amongst the bags, then pick different days to make and decorate cookies and deliver the goodies. This way, your trick-or-treating will be a fun and ongoing project instead of a nonstop chore on delivery day. 

For me, I bought all of my supplies, confirmed none of my friends had allergies or hated a particular candy/cookie, chose my recipes and designs, planned which days would be best to make and chill the dough and set a date to make deliveries!

Lastly, have fun! Reverse trick-or-treating is a fun way to show your friends that you’re thinking of them this spooky season. It also gives you a chance to spend some time in the kitchen!

Eve Bennett

Chapel Hill '23

I am a current sophomore who writes and edits for Her Campus Chapel Hill.