My Campus Celebrity: Miah Brione Williams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

College can be overwhelming between classes, campus involvement and having a social life. But junior Miah Brione Williams makes it look easy. Between volunteering and being a section leader in the UNC marching band, Miah sings in an a capella group, dances in a dance company, is an RA and a member of Phi Mu Sorority, among other activities. The Robbinsville, N.C., native is also double majoring in Middle Grades Education Social Studies and Mathematics. We aren’t sure how she has time for this, but Miah says she likes being busy and her involvement which is why she is this week’s Campus Celebrity!

HC: What activities and organizations are you involved in on campus?

Miah: I am a UNC Teaching Fellows and in the Collegiate Middle Levels Association within the School of Education. I volunteer at a middle school in Durham and at the YMCA in Chapel Hill. I am in the Harmonyx A Capella singing group, Misconceptions Dance Company, Phi Mu Sorority, a section leader in the UNC Marching Band, a member of the National Society of Leadership Success and a Resident Advisor in Kenan Community.

HC: Which organization do you enjoy most and why?

Miah: This is a really tough decision, but I would have to say being a section leader in the UNC Marching Band. It if weren’t for band, I wouldn’t have met my best friends or boyfriend. I have had countless unforgettable memories, and I have been given opportunities to grow as a musician and a person within the band. I can express myself in such an artistic way and still be myself. I have wonderful instructors that make me feel important and show me that my opinion matters whenever I express what is on my mind. Not to mention, I have also been to really awesome events and witnessed fantastic wins. Band is such a great organization I got involved with and I plan to continue my last year of college with them next year.

HC: How do you balance school and your extra-curricular activities?

Miah: I am a very organized person, and if it weren’t for my planner I don’t know how I would operate! I make sure I am well balanced and never double booked for anything. I am always busy, but that is how I like it. There is never a dull moment when it comes to my life. I always make sure that I am enjoying what I do everyday though. If I’m not having fun or doing an activity that helps me grow or obtain knowledge, then I know that I should make some changes. I keep my schedule very balanced and still have free time to hang with my friends.

HC: What do you like to do in your free time?

Miah: I love to write lyrics, make up choreography, hang out with my friends, watch movies and play sports. When the weather is nice I love to play basketball or volleyball outside with a group of friends. It keeps us active and in shape.

HC: What is your favorite thing about Carolina?

Miah: My favorite thing about Carolina is the people. Not only do we have such a diverse set of students, but we have a lot of really kind people who are always willing to do so much for the environment we live in. It is such a relief when I am having a less than satisfying day to step foot on campus. I start to see smiles and laughter that make my day seem so much brighter. My friends are always so optimistic and energetic that I feel like it flows from their bodies to mine. I feel very lucky to know the people I do on Carolina’s campus.

HC: How do you feel about being a senior next year? What are you most excited for?

Miah: I feel as if my years as an undergraduate have flown past me, and I am not ready to graduate yet! I have had such an amazing experience and as it is coming to a close with one year left I want to be able to enjoy all that time. As much as I am ready for the real world, there is still a part of me that doesn’t want to leave all my friends and this wonderful campus behind. I am most excited about my student teaching experience I will be partaking in my spring semester. I will have the opportunity to teach in a middle school social studies classroom and know what it will be like to teach before I graduate.

HC: What are your post-graduation plans?

Miah: I plan on attending graduate school for a masters in teaching, start teaching at a middle school (hopefully in the triangle area), then attend graduate school again for a masters in administration so I can become a principal for a middle school or superintendent of a school system.

HC: What’s something most people don’t know about you?

Miah: I have an intimate passion for singing. I have sung ever since I could talk and I sing every chance I can get. I took professional lessons as a child for a long time and I do multiple individual singing gigs every year. I still dream of taking singing to a professional level one day.  

HC: What advice do you have for underclassmen?

Miah: These are the best four years of our lives. Enjoy them and have the best experience you can have, but remember why you are here in the first place: to learn and gain an education. Learn to your capacity, but still have fun and make friends. These are the friends you will have the rest of your life.

Sophomore, PR major at UNC