My Campus Celebrity: Giovani Bernard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

After tearing his ACL during his first year at UNC, this redshirted freshman is back on the field and stronger than ever. Giovani Bernard scored three touchdowns in the homecoming game, helping the Tar Heels to defeat Wake Forest 49-24. With a 107.2 yards-per-game average, the tailback is dangerously close to reaching the 1,000 yards in a single season mark. A Florida native and self-proclaimed nice guy, he opened his home up to Her Campus for a chat about football, music, family and–of course–the ladies.

HC: After you tore your ACL, what was the recovery process like?
Giovani: That was a tough period. My mom passed away when I was ten years old, so compared to that, it wasn’t the lowest point in my life; but it was pretty close. I got injured my senior year of high school and couldn’t play, so then to go into college as a freshman and tear my ACL was rough. The worst part was that I was on crutches and it was so hot; I was always sweating walking to class. It was just a bad time, I was always in a bad mood. I would never want anyone to go through that. The best way to get past it is to just get your knee right and keep moving.  

HC: Who or what inspires you to work harder for the team?
Giovani: My mom has always been motivation for my brother and me–just making her happy, because we know she’s up there watching. After every game I point to the sky for her.  When you lose someone important like that, you take it upon your life. It motivates you for everything.

HC: Your brother also plays football. Do you two really bond over the sport?
Giovani: We’ve always been so involved with sports like football and soccer. My dad actually played on the national team for Haiti. Honestly, we knew it was our ticket to a good education, a good future. We weren’t the richest growing up so I knew sports would open the door to better things.

HC: Do you guys talk football a lot?
Giovani: He’s older; I know he’s busy with other things so I try not to bother him too much about sports, but he always calls me about my games. He has always been my role model. He will tell me what I’m doing well and what I’m not. He also always asks me about school and regular life things, as he should; that’s what’s important, especially from your big brother.

HC: What was going through your mind as you entered Kenan Stadium for the homecoming game against Wake Forest this past weekend?
Giovani: Just to play well. When I go on the field, I go with a clear mind. Whatever they throw at me, I just run with it. That’s kind of my attitude for life, actually.

HC: How do you usually get ready for a game?
Giovani: I sit at my locker and listen to music. I have a mix of things like Drake, Sade, Adele, Regina Spektor and Marvin Gaye.

HC: Why UNC?
Giovani: I knew I did not want to stay in Florida; I had to get out. I originally committed to Notre Dame. The school is a lot like UNC besides the Catholic school aspect; both schools have a strong alumni network and academics. But it just felt stable here. There is a family atmosphere.   

HC: How would you describe the experience of being part of the UNC football program?
Giovani: It is different. Things are so much more publicized than in high school, of course.  You’re really under a microscope. I don’t ever want to be just a normal UNC football player, I have to try to achieve more.

HC: Do you feel like the team has been affected by the bit of drama last year, and the coaching changes?
Giovani: That’s the main thing about our team; we kept all that on the outside. It was never something we gave too much attention. If you do, you will let it affect the upcoming season.  Coach Withers was a part of our staff before, so all the guys knew him already. He was defensive coordinator, so he did a good job of letting offense take care of itself. He is a good guy, I really like his mentality.

HC: What are your future plans for college, football, and career?
Giovani: Of course I hope to go into the pros. That is every little kid’s dream. I feel like I am always looking up to the guys in the next level. When I was on peewee, I looked to high school, and then in high school I looked to college, and now I’m looking to the NFL.

Academically, I’m an exercise and sports science major. I’ve had my share of injuries and sports have always been a big part of my life. There are a lot of ways you can go with the major–personal fitness, sports medicine or athletic training. I’m not sure exactly what I want to do yet.

HC: What other players do you look up to, on the UNC team or in the NFL?
Giovani: On the team, Matt Merletti. He is one of the players who has also torn his ACL and just seeing how well he was able to bounce back and recover was inspiring. He has a great attitude. He’s #25 and I’m #26 so our lockers are right next to each other and we get to talk a lot. He is definitely a good guy.

HC: What, if anything, intimidates you on or off the field?
Giovani: Rejection, that’s my kryptonite. I deal with it, but maybe not in the best way. Whether I’m on the field and I fail to get a fourth down, or a girl turns me down, I just try to forget it. Rejection is tough. I hate it with a passion.

HC: There are lots of lovely ladies here at UNC. What qualities do you usually look for to narrow down the search?
Giovani: I like a humble person with a plan–a girl who is independent but fun to be around. I also look for someone who is well-dressed and I’m a sucker for eyes.  

Sources:
Bernard with knee brace (photo): Inside Carolina, http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/1058455.html
Bernard on field (photo): Kaylon Kirk
UNC vs. Cardinals (photo): Gridiron Heels

Sophomore, PR major at UNC