The Must See Movies of Fall 2011

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.
2011 has been an impressive year so far for the movie industry as a whole with comedic blockbusters like The Hangover Part II and Bridesmaids, as well as dramas, like the long-awaited Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2. As we move into fall and the weather gets cooler, everyone will soon get the urge to hit the theaters for date night or girls night out. However, it’s often hard (especially on a college budget) to weed through so many movie choices and find the films worth paying to see. This fall, the movies continue following the prequels and sequels trend; here is a compiled a list of those movies plus a few others that make up Her Campus UNC’s list of must see movies for fall 2011!

October

The Big Year

Three of the biggest comedic icons of our generation–Owen Wilson, Jack Black and Steve Martin–team up for an unconventional tale about competitive bird watching. The film follows the three men as they prepare to engage in a secret competition, which ends up being the year of all their lives. Check out this legendary performance in theaters now!

Footloose
Kenny Wormald and Julianne Hough star in this remake of the classic ‘80s musical romance about a thriving young man who moves to a small town that has recently outlawed dancing and loud music, as a result of a fatal car wreck which killed five teens after a high school dance. Ren MacCormack (Wormald) must find a way to convince the town to kick off their Sunday shoes and cut footloose! Ren finds himself trying to win over the heart of the town councilman’s daughter (Hough), which inevitably creates tension. Catch this modern take on a classic story in theaters now!

Paranormal Activity 3
If you enjoy horror movies or if you find yourself in the mood for a good scream to get in the Halloween spirit, then get excited. Director Oren Peli is set to release his third film of the Paranormal Activity series which serves as a prequel to the first two movies. Using the perspective of a video camera, the movie follows two young sisters, Kristi and Katie, as they befriend an entity. While the entity seems friendly to the girls at first, it soon begins to haunt and torture the girls and their family. Get prepared to hold the hand of your companion of choice because this horror film is coming out soon on October 21.

Puss and Boots
Shrek fans, listen up! This lighthearted comedy is another prequel that chronicles the life story and adventures of the beloved feline who made his debut in Shrek 2 as a third sidekick to Shrek and Donkey. Puss in Boots (voiceover by Antonio Bandares) was a protector of the innocent sent to save the world from two villains, Jack and Jill. Along with the help of his two sidekicks, Humpty Dumpty (voiceover by Zach Galifianakis) and Kitty Softpaws (voiceover by Salma Hayek), Puss sets out for the adventure of a lifetime! This CGI comedy and adventure film will be available in 3D and IMAX 3D on October 28.

The Rum Diary
This film is based on the novel by the idolized and wacky yet brilliant, Hunter S. Thompson. While the novel was written in 1961, it wasn’t published until 1998. It stars what some call a HSP prodigy, Johnny Depp, as Paul Kemp, a nomadic journalist who moves from New York to Puerto Rico to write for a local newspaper. The story is packed full of romance, lust, hilarity and drama which all  result from a drinking binge on rum (of course, what else?) and an obsession with a lady named Chenault, played by Amber Heard. This much anticipated film comes out on October 28.

November

A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas
Coming out as the third film in the popular series starring John Cho and Kal Pen, this is the perfect movie for anyone who likes to laugh. The film picks up six years ago where the last movie, Guantanamo Bay, ended; and follows the two idiotic but now estranged friends as they set out on a journey through the Big Apple to find the perfect Christmas tree.  As always, the pair manages to find trouble around every corner at the amusement of its viewers. This time they are also joined by fan favorite, Neil Patrick Harris. This is the first film in the series to be in 3D is and is set to be released on November 4.

Twilight Breaking Dawn-Part 1
Attention all Twilight fanatics: it is finally acceptable for you to break out the Twilight gear because the time is almost here! On November 18, the first part of the final installment of the saga will be released. The film begins with blissful newlyweds, Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart) and Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson), taking a honeymoon trip to Rio de Janeiro where they finally succumb to their built-up passions and give the fans the scene for which they have all been waiting. The couple subsequently finds out that Bella is pregnant, which creates all sorts of physical problems for Bella. After almost dying in childbirth, Bella is saved by finally becoming a vampire. However, the birth of their daughter sparks a chain of events that may lead to an all-out vampire battle. The epic, supernatural saga is nearing its end so make sure to check out the suspenseful and romantic film just in time for Thanksgiving.

Happy Feet 2
Here’s another sequel coming out just in time for Thanksgiving. Happy Feet 2 tells the story of Mumble’s son, Erik, who like his father is having a hard time maturing as a penguin. However, his dilemma is with dancing. The problem is only exacerbated when Erik meets Puffin, “The Mighty Sven,” who thinks he can fly. The issues only continue to grow for Mumble as he finds himself in the middle of trying to bring the penguin nations together.  This adorable sequel is perfectly suited for any outing and for all ages, and comes out on November 18.

The Muppets
Fresh off a 12-year theatrical hiatus comes the first Disney produced Muppet film in 15 years.  In the movie, the world’s biggest Muppet fan, Walter (voiced by Peter Linz), must raise 10 million dollars to save the Muppet Theater from being demolished after the discovery that there is oil beneath it. With the help of companions, Gary (Jason Segel) and Mary (Amy Adams), they must save the theater by reuniting all the Muppets. This proves to be a difficult task because all of the muppets have gone their separate ways. Check out this classic film with the family after a long day of eating delicious food because it comes out on Thanksgiving Day, November 23.

What movies are you excited to see this fall? Let us know in the comment bow below!

Sources:
The Big Year (photo): Daily Style Life, http://www.dailystyle.info/download-the-big-year-movie-download-the-big-year-movie/
Twilight (photo): Back Seat Cuddler, http://backseatcuddler.com/2011/06/02/first-look-breaking-dawn-marriage-scene-video/
Happy Feet 2 (photo): Muskurahat, http://www.muskurahat.pk/top-news/happy-feet-2-releasing-in-november-2011.html

Sophomore, PR major at UNC