#MovieWeek: Some Of My Favorite Feel Good Movies To Cure Your Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Sometimes, you just need a good, ridiculous movie to turn your mood around for the better. Here are some of the best…

How to Train Your Dragon (the first one because the other two get sad)

To this day, this is my all-time favorite movie. Not only is the soundtrack perfect for soothing any bad feelings, but it’s cinematically beautiful. The movie has a simple, relatable storyline about growing up, mixed with enough escapist fantasy to take you away for a minute.

The Secret to My Success

This is a hilarious gem starring Michael J. Fox. It has a low-ish critic rating, but it still seems to shine like any Nolan film. Fox is always a pleasant part of any movie, and the absurdity of the whole plot is fantastically consuming.

Love Actually

There is nothing better than a classic rom-com, especially not when Colin Firth and Hugh Grant are involved. Plus, it is one of Harry Styles’ favorite movies.

Mrs. Doubtfire

Robin Williams was a national treasure. His comedic timing and heart of gold blend together to elevate this movie into the precious memories of our childhoods.

Mamma Mia (1 & 2)

Mamma Mia gets a lot of hate, which is totally unnecessary. The plot is ridiculous, yeah, but isn’t that the point? It is escapist to its core, and it plays the role beautifully. Both movies are pure fun with a ton of heart.

Film is a beautiful invention, so use it to improve your mood.

Katie Jackson

Chapel Hill '23

Katie is an undergrad at UNC Chapel Hill. She is part of the Campus Y Outreach Taskforce and HYPE Tutoring. Interested in sustainability, economics, and global culture and policy, Katie plans to study business, public policy, and environmental sciences. Katie loves her kitten named Hiccup (yes, from How to Train Your Dragon), her two dogs, her other kitten (even though it is technically her sister's) and her cat.