movie poster of The Map of Tiny Perfect things
Amazon Studios

Movie Review: The Map of Tiny Perfect Things

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

In the crush of school assignments, work and applying to jobs, college students need to carve out a little free time for themselves. The next time you make a little free time for yourself, I recommend watching The Map of Tiny Perfect Things, a Groundhog Day-esque coming of age movie out on Amazon Prime. 

The movie, which premiered on Amazon this past February, stars rising actress Kathryn Newton, who you might recognize from Netflix’s The Society, or last year’s horror-comedy, Freaky. Newton plays the mysterious Margaret opposite her co-star Kyle Allen, who plays the lively (and geeky) Mark. Both are teenagers stuck in a temporal anomaly (read: time loop) in their small town. Forced to live the same day over and over again, these two teens form a tight friendship — and possibly something more — as they try to live life to their fullest, even when they can’t age. One of their projects is going through the same day and recording down all the perfect things that occur — children playing in a treehouse, a bird catching a fish, a skateboarder nailing anew trick. Though seemingly inane, these perfect moments remind Margaret and Mark that life is worth living, even if they’re stuck. 

movie poster for The Map of Tiny Perfect Things
Amazon Studios
The Map of Tiny Perfect Things packs a strong punch in its slim one-hour and 39-minute runtime. While time loop movies have been done over and over again — Groundhog Day, Edge of Tomorrow, Palm Springs and Happy Death Day all play on this trope — this latest entry takes a more philosophical route. Instead of trying to solve their time loop immediately, Mark and Margaret contemplate over the meaning of life, finding beauty in the seemingly every day. A revelation about two-thirds of the way in the film shifts the movie from fun and effervescent to emotional and stirring. Both hilarious and heartfelt, The Map of Tiny Perfect Things left me crying and laughing throughout watching. 

Aside from the new approach on a tried and tested approach, the choreography is immaculate. If you have any hesitation in watching this movie, the first five minutes will surely convince you, as Mark moves around his town with startling ease and grace. The Map of Tiny Perfect Things is already a fun movie, only further elevated by its intricate choreography throughout the entire movie. 

In the chaos of classes and the pandemic, a break from reality is necessary. The Map of Tiny Perfect Things is the perfect solution. Smart, philosophical, humorous and heartfelt, the movie is perfect for a lazy Sunday, a larger break between classes or even a movie night with your roommates or family! 

Don’t have Amazon Prime? You actually do! As a UNC student, you have six months free of Amazon Prime! 

Gennifer Eccles is an alumna at UNC Chapel Hill and the co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Chapel Hill. She studied English and Women & Gender Studies. Her dream job is to work at as an editor for a publishing house, where she can bring her two majors together to help publish diverse, authentic and angst-ridden romance novels.