Miley Cyrus’ new haircut: Hair Do or Hair Don’t?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

What constitutes a new hairstyle being newsworthy? It usually isn’t when a celebutante clips in some extensions or opens a new bottle of dye. That isn’t news. BUT, when a former Disney princess hacks it all off, it becomes the talk of the nation.

Miley Cyrus caused a stir on Twitter when she hinted that she was about to go under the scissors and endure a new cut. It had only been a few weeks since she debuted her bleach blonde locks, but that wasn’t enough for the Teen Queen.

The event was documented on Twitter, with Miley even starting a countdown to the demise of her short-lived signature bun. She posted a couple “before” pictures just prior to the ensuing cut.

The result? A short, edgy, bleach-blonde cut that prompted Miley to say “Never felt more me in my whole life.” She felt so good about the new Miley that she insisted on tweeting multiple pictures for the whole world to see. The new cut is so different, even Hannah Montana wouldn’t recognize her.

Now, if you or I were to get a haircut, it certainly wouldn’t make headlines. So why all the backlash and hate for something that makes a girl feel like herself? Sure, she’s a celebrity and it’s what she signed up for, but what makes it the job of the media to say whether it’s a hair-do or a hair-don’t?

We, as a culture, are conditioned to believe in a narrow definition of beauty. As a result, we aren’t very open to something, such as Miley’s drastic cut, being beautiful. When Britney shaved her head back in ’07, it was like the buzz cut heard ‘round the world. Both of these women found themselves taking control by drastically altering their hair.

My thoughts? Whether or not I like the cut, I say more power to Miley for being brave enough to go for the look that she wanted, regardless of what the rest of the world thinks.

Sources

All photos from Miley Cyrus’ Twitter

@MileyCyrus
https://twitter.com/MileyCyrus

Melissa Paniagua is a senior journalism major at The University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, specializing in public relations. She is currently a fashion market intern at ELLE Magazine. On campus, Melissa acts as the Her Campus president as well as the vice president of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors, UNC’s Ed2010 chapter. In the past, she has been an intern for Southern Weddings Magazine and a contributing writer for Her Campus. Melissa has an appreciation for all things innovative, artful and well designed and hopes to work in marketing for a women’s lifestyle magazine in the future!