women fists raised in air
women fists raised in air
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Hey, everyone! As the editor-in-chief of Her Campus at Chapel Hill, I’m loving this series in which our readers (you!) get to meet our team. This week, you’re meeting Hannah Correll, one of our newest writers for Her Campus at Chapel Hill!  You may have read her articles in the past, but if you haven’t, check them out! Jackie is a sophomore at UNC-Chapel Hill and hails from Hickory, North Carolina. She is currently double majoring in Political Science and Broadcast Journalism at the J-School. Meet the person behind the screen!

Why did Her Campus appeal to you?

The Her Campus team is such an inclusive group of girls. Surrounding myself with a group of diverse girls from different backgrounds is inspiration in itself. The uplifting atmosphere of Her Campus is something I think every woman-identifying person needs for a little pick-me-up!

What is your dream job/career path?

My dream job is to be a political journalist in Washington D.C. Especially right now, with the political climate being pretty tense, I think this is one of the most difficult, yet rewarding jobs. Washington D.C. is my dream city, and journalism is my dream career. How can it get any better?

What’s something that everyone should know about you?

Everyone should know that I own all eight seasons of Full House on DVD. I grew up watching that show, starting at the age of three, with my dad. It’s such a cheesy family sitcom, and I am SUCH a sucker for it. Also, Uncle Jesse is definitely my first love. Like, have you seen his hair?! 

You only have one birthday present. What do you want? (not money!)

Right now, I would like some airpods. Oh no. I just cringed saying that. but my headphones broke, and airpods just seem so handy, but I don’t have $160 to spend on that. If not that, I’d want a nice dinner to The Cheesecake Factory, so I can consume a dangerous amount of carbs.

What are three movies that describe your life?

That movie LOL is definitely at the top of my list! I feel like I went a bit wild in high school, but I had such a close relationship with my mom, and still do. What else? Legally Blonde. She lets nothing get in the way of her dreams and doesn’t let people discourage her! I like to think I stay pretty level-headed. A third movie? Probably How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days. Not because I try to lose guys in ten days, but because she is doing literally anything for her career and just happens to fall in love. I traveled to D.C., last year, for an internship opportunity and met the love of my life. Not ideal, but also so cute.

Gif from the movie How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
Giphy

What is your perfect day like?

My perfect day starts at approximately 11 a.m. because I hate the thought of waking up early. I would spend the day with my mom, probably shopping, going to lunch or something of the sort. After that, I would spend the evening with my boyfriend or friends. Going to some restaurant I can’t afford for the thrill of it would be nice. I already mentioned The Cheesecake Factory, but it’s my favorite restaurant and turns all my “meh” days into “hell yeah” days!

What are your hobbies?

I am about to answer this question and sound like your grandparents. My favorite thing to do is follow the news and keep up with politics. No, seriously. I wake up and look at the news. I look at the news in class. I look at the news in bed. Additionally, watching crime documentaries is quite fun. Please DM me on socials so I can give you an exhaustive list of crime documentaries to watch.

What is your weirdest talent?

My weirdest talent is so gross. I am so sorry in advance, but I can stick my tongue up my nose. My tongue is super long — think Gene Simmons from Kiss. This has been a thing my entire life. My mom took a picture of me sitting on the kitchen floor, when I was three-years-old, with my tongue up my nose. I promise I don’t do this as a recreational activity, but I can do it. Who wants proof? Serious inquiries only.

What are you most excited to do with Her Campus this year?

My schedule is horrendous this year, but I am so excited to be able to attend bonding events with these uplifting ladies! Reading their articles and watching their personalities shine through is so much fun. I am really excited to get to know these ladies and create a strong support system!

Hannah Correll

Chapel Hill '22

Hannah is an aspiring political journalist studying Broadcast Journalism and Political Scientist at UNC. In my free time, Hannah enjoys drinking copious amounts of coffee, watching the news, spending money online shopping, traveling all over the country and watching crime documentaries. Follow her instagram @hannahecorrell!
Gennifer Eccles is an alumna at UNC Chapel Hill and the co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Chapel Hill. She studied English and Women & Gender Studies. Her dream job is to work at as an editor for a publishing house, where she can bring her two majors together to help publish diverse, authentic and angst-ridden romance novels.