A Love for Luxury: Valentine’s Day in Asia’s World City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Hong Kong, owning the world’s largest collection of skyscrapers (7,650) and ranking as one of the top ten most expensive cities to live (#8), is also one of the most luxurious places to spend Valentine’s Day. Hong Kong, Asia’s World City, is a tropical place with a cosmopolitan flavor where East meets West…and where you can easily splurge all of your savings on a Valentine’s Day gift for your significant other (or for yourself)!

Whether or not cupid is on your team this year, this city will leave anyone dazed and amazed, but mostly in complete shock over all the glamorous options for things to do this holiday.

1. Living in a Material World: starting at $205

As I walk through the underground tunnels of the MTR, Hong Kong’s subway system, I can’t help but notice the repeating print advertisements doused in pink featuring the most attractive couples for luxury watches, jewelry and perfumes (not to mention, they also make me feel like a third wheel!). Hong Kong is a hub for capitalism, and you can bet that the businesses here won’t miss out on the opportunity to dish out for some cash for extra ad space in time for Valentine’s Day.

You won’t just see traditional banner ads, either. Interactive panel advertisements are placed around the city, with men gushing over their sweethearts and buying them expensive, material gifts. A panel outside of the Burberry store in Central even featured a “Burberry Valentine” promotional advertisement.

It’s easy to see that in Hong Kong, luxury goods are not only on the rise, but are becoming the norm. Aside from all the bling, Hong Kong is also one of the most expensive places in which to buy red roses! According to CNN.com, a dozen roses in the city will cost you $205 compared to just $73 in the United States.

2. Rolling up in a Royce: $130,000

How does a $130,000 Valentine’s Day date sound to you? It’s possible. The InterContinental Hong Konghas created a hotel package that offers this unique, over-the-top Valentine experience. Not only will you get transportation to and from the hotel in a Phantom VI Rolls Royce (with a bottle of Louis Roederer Cristal Rosé 2004 Champagne and fresh strawberries in the back), you will also be staying in Hong Kong’s largest Presidential Suite at 7,000 square feet. The Presidential Suite includes a duplex living room, rooftop terrace with a private infinity swimming pool overlooking the harbor, a jacuzzi, a rain forest shower for two, a private sauna, a steam room, a private dining room, a private bar, a gym AND a study. That’s right; you have one night to use it all.

Also, you can forget about the dozen roses; the InterContinental will deliver 1,000 roses to your suite along with your romantic candlelit dinner and live string quartet performance. What’s waiting for you the next morning? A Champagne and caviar breakfast, of course.

3. Bashing the Holiday Completely: $64 (but compared to Options 1 and 2, priceless)

Yes, that’s right. There’s even an opportunity to protest the Hallmark holiday here in the city. The Main Street Deli at the Langham is hosting a “Ladies Only” Valentine’s Day Party as an escape from“conforming to tables for two, commercialism, heart shaped balloons, roses and men (except the waiters).” However, you’re not off the hook yet. The anti-Valentine’s Day set menu is around $64. The dinner includes an appetizer, a main dish, a dessert, a cocktail and some popcorn and romantic comedies. The restaurant aims to poke fun at the holiday with a Facebook fan page boasting, “Not a fan of Valentine’s Day? Neither is Main St. Deli.”

I guess $64 is the price to pay in Hong Kong for some Sex and the City and Cosmos instead of a date.

One thing is for sure: No matter what day of the year, Hong Kong is a city that can offer an upscale, luxurious feel that has me singing Fergie’s Glamorous and day-dreaming about “one day…”

Sources:
Hong Kong ads (photo): Nancy Torres
Intercontinental (photo): Intercontinental, http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/intercontinental/en/gb/locations/overview/hongkong
Sex and the City Cosmo (photo): Cosmo-recipe.com, http://www.cosmo-recipe.com/Cosmo-Drink-About.html
Hong Kong skyline (photo):  CNBC.com, http://www.cnbc.com/id/37996537/The_World_s_Most_Expensive_Places_To_Live_2010?slide=3

Sophomore, PR major at UNC