Local Music Shows this Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

One of the best things about the entertainment industry is that it brings people together; some times we just need a little distraction from daily life. In college, one of the easiest and most exciting forms of entertainment is hearing live music at a concert. Whether it’s one of your favorite bands or a new artist you heard about from a friend, lmany bands target college towns; now is the time to increase your music education! Her Campus UNC pulled together a list of the shows around the Triangle area this fall (many are in walking distance of campus!), so you won’t miss a beat!

If you’re unfamiliar with the venues listed, here’s a quick description of where each venue is located and what to expect at a show there.

Cat’s Cradle: Cat’s Cradle is UNC’s hidden gem. They’ve hosted some of the biggest names in music from Owl City to Dashboard Confessional, and I’ve never seen tickets go for more than $25. If you leave before a certain time (depends on the day), Chapel Hill transit buses will take you to Carrboro, where Cat’s is located; but it’s definitely within walking distance if it’s a nice day. It has a bar, sweet murals on the walls and it has been recently renovated for more standing space; now you won’t be cramped in the concert pit unless you choose to be. Tickets to Cat’s Cradle shows can be bought on their website, at their box office or at CD Alley on Franklin Street (near McDonald’s, across from Uniquities).

Local 506: If small, roomy bars with plenty of seating are more of your scene than a mosh pit, the Local 506 is your go-to place. They’ve got plenty of tables and chairs–it’s open as a regular bar on nights when there aren’t shows. There is a small area for a concert pit, too, so it’s the best of both worlds. It’s smaller than Lincoln and Cat’s, which gives shows a more personal feel. The acoustics aren’t great, but hey, it’s a bar. And it’s on Franklin Street, so there’s no excuse not to go to at least one show there! They charge a $3 membership fee, but it’s a one-time thing, which is better than the under 21 cover you’ll face each time you go to Lincoln.

Lincoln Theater: This venue is in downtown Raleigh and used to be a movie theatre for African Americans during the times of segregation. It’s now a bar, complete with arcade games and vending machines, and has stadium style flooring with a top level if you want to escape the crowd. They will charge you a $2 surcharge if you’re a minor, though.

RBC Center: Located in Raleigh, this is where the Carolina Hurricanes play hockey, and where the most famous artists hold concerts. Lady GaGa, Katy Perry and Prince all played there last year, so it’s no surprise that Ms. Swift will be hosted there as well.

Shows

October 20: Wale – Lincoln Theatre, 9 p.m. Tickets are $14.50 each. Wale was at UNC a couple years ago and if you missed him then now is your chance to catch this famous rap star. You know him from the song he did with Lady GaGa, “Chillin’,” but you should check out his other tracks, too.

October 28: Ra Ra Riot – Cat’s Cradle, 8:45 p.m. Tickets: $16 each. You may have read the feature on Ra Ra Riot in August 2010’s Nylon magazine, or you may have heard lead singer Matheiu Santos’ solo album, which was released this summer. Even though Santos’ solo career has taken off, the alternative band is still touring and playing music from their two albums. They have come to Cat’s Cradle each fall for the last few years and put on a fun, lively concert each time. Even if you haven’t heard of them, the dance party will be worth the ticket price!

November 14: Architecture in Helsinki – Cat’s Cradle, time TBA. Tickets: $15 each. Architecture in Helsinki’s popularity hasn’t quite reached the South yet, but you’ll like this group if you’re into pop music with hilarious lyrics.

November 14: All Time Low – Lincoln Theater, 7:00 p.m. Tickets: $20 each. If you’re feeling nostalgic for your rebellious middle school days – ah, Good Charlotte – this concert is perfect for you. Though you may have to navigate around screaming 12-year-olds, there’s no doubt this will be an enjoyable show.

November 15: Parachute and Kate Voegele – Lincoln Theater, 7:30 p.m. Tickets: $14.50 each. Pop band Parachute opened for the Plain White T’s on their tour last spring (which stopped at Lincoln and Cat’s Cradle!), and you’ve probably heard their tracks “She is Love” and “Under Control” in skincare commercials. You may recognize Kate Voegele from her role as Mia Catalano on One Tree Hill, but her infectious pop music has been featured in TV shows like Pretty Little Liars, and she’s also opened for Natasha Bedingfield.

November 17: Taylor Swift – RBC Center, 7:00 p.m. Tickets: $25 – $70 each depending on your seat location. We don’t need to describe America’s sweetheart to you HC girls – you know how talented Taylor is!

December 8: Beirut – Cat’s Cradle, 9:00 p.m. Tickets: $18 each. If you haven’t heard of Beirut you are really missing out. They were profiled in the September 2011 issue of Nylon to talk about their new album, which is more pop-sounding than their previous, more folk-inspired ones. Plus, the lead singer, Zach Condon, worked with the New Pornographers on their fifth album!

December 15: Rachael Yamagata – Local 506, 8:30 p.m. Tickets: $10 each. You’ve heard her song “Be Be Your Love” in the first Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants film, and now you have the chance to hear the piano-playing singer perform live. If you’re a fan of Regina Spektor, you’ll love this show.

Sources:
Ra Ra Riot (photo): Nylon, http://www.nylonmag.com/?section=article&parid=443
Taylor Swift (photo): Taylorswift.com, http://www.taylorswift.com/photos#/album_art/288266
Beirut (photo): Nymag, http://nymag.com/arts/popmusic/features/18856/

Meghan is a senior at UNC-Chapel Hill studying classics and English. She has interned at Girls' Life and Parenting magazines and was a Collegiate Correspondent with USA TODAY in Spring 2012. Meghan loves all things entertainment related and plans to move to New York and work for a national magazine after graduating in May 2013.