This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

For those who aren’t lucky enough to live with their SO (significant other), self-isolation and quarantine may seem like it’s going to put a strain on your relationship. This is true, especially if you were used to seeing them every day. The preventative measures put in place to protect everyone are now making a lot of relationships feel like long-distance relationships, even if you live in the same hometown. 

Never fear, there is a way for you to have the perfect date night. All it requires is a way for you to either video call each other or stream. My personal favorite is Discord, an app that allows you to talk to someone while they stream. Another alternative is Zoom, a software that most people are able to use, thanks to universities moving their classes online. This also lets you screen-share, while being able to see and hear the other person. If either of these options don’t work for you, reach out to Google to find an app that fits your needs! Once you and your SO are all set up, you can plan your next date. Here are some ideas to get you started.

Virtual Tours

Several museums have partnered with Google to virtualize their exhibits to make it feel like you are walking around in the galleries. The only downside is that the text on the information plaques is hard to read. Outside of the Google partnership, other museums already have a virtual tour option, so I recommend Googling a museum you’d like to visit and adding “virtual tour” into the query to see what you can find! Use the screen-share or streaming option so you and your SO can look at the same thing at the same time as you “walk” around!

Want a really romantic museum trip? Take a breathtaking tour of the Sistine Chapel. It’s gorgeous!

Movie Night

Gather your favorite snacks and get cozy for movie night! There are a couple of ways you can do this, including pressing play at the same time on the movie you are watching, streaming/screen-sharing or using Netflix Party. Very simple, but efficient! 

Romantic Dinner

No need for special streaming apps. All you need is the ability to Facetime/Skype/video call your SO. You can cook your own dinner or order in from the same (or different) restaurant and have a meal together from the comfort of your own homes. To make it extra ~fancy~, you can both dress up and pour a glass of cider or wine. Forget candlelight dinners, this screen-lit dinner will be one for the books!

These are just a few ideas to make dating in quarantine more exciting. Every relationship is different, so there are an infinite amount of date ideas that you can come up with to suit your relationship needs. Who knows, maybe you and your SO can find a new hobby or interest that you can pursue together, even when social distancing and quarantine are lifted. 

Paige Pennebaker

Chapel Hill '21

Paige Pennebaker is an aspiring writer who attends UNC-Chapel Hill as a Senior during the day. She enjoys writing fiction and has been published on shortfictionbreak.com. While fiction is where her heart is, Paige also has a lot to say about the real world and how to get by.