Last Semester of College? Here’s How You Should Be Spending It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

It’s your last semester of college, or, at least, the last semester of your undergraduate career. You’re in class, at work, at an internship, studying, leading campus organizations and somehow trying to squeeze as many fun memories into the mix as you can. Sounds stressful, right?

Well, if you’re stressed about how you should be spending your final days at your university of choice, hear me out. Don’t overthink it. You’re probably already in a good place, so don’t worry about going to every single event or every single hangout. At the same time, go to what you can because you never know how many more chances you’ll get to see these people that you care about in this setting and frame of mind.

You should spend this last semester focusing on things that are important to you. Work on your future career goals. Apply to jobs and excel at the internships and jobs that you have already. You should lead your organizations with love and kindness, giving every meeting and every event your all. You should make strides toward your future because, one day, you’re going to do great things. On that same note, don’t forget about your classes just yet, as this is the last semester you can really get academically enriching lessons about things that interest you. Take it all in and learn as much as you can in these last few months. 

All that being said, don’t forget about your friends. Stay in for movie nights, and don’t be afraid to put down that laptop and go spend time with people who care about you (and who are very much going to miss you). When it comes down to it, you really don’t know which directions life is going to take everyone in, so it’s important that you take advantage of the final moments that you have together. I know it might seem tempting to ignore those invites, but really try to make the most of the time you have together.

OK, so I know what you’re thinking. All of this sounds like enough to keep someone busy for months and months and MONTHS, and we don’t even have that many months left of school. Yes, your last semester might be a little busy, but that’s okay; just don’t forget to take lots of moments to sit back and relax a little too.

Your last semester of college is what you make it, so don’t forget to make it everything you want it to be, and then, maybe just a little bit more too.  

Ashley Oldham

Chapel Hill '20

Ashley Oldham is a senior English and Comparative Literature and Sociology double major at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. In her free time she enjoys drinking way too much coffee, attempting to write the next great American novel, and going on spontaneous road trips, all in the name of procrastinating on whatever schoolwork she currently has to do. To see what she's doing next (and get bombarded with cat pictures) follow her on Instagram @ashleyyerinno.