Keep the Music Coming: This Fall’s Album Releases

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

As we enter fall, the season of music festivals and summer concerts comes to an end.  Although it’s almost time to put away your cut-off jean shorts and tank tops, the great music won’t stop. Whether you’re putting together a funky party playlist or looking for the perfect gift, these new albums are sure to satisfy your never-ending musical appetite. From the alternative melodies of Coldplay to the instrumental beats of DJ Shadow, these new tracks are calling all music junkies. Just in time for the holiday season, here’s a preview of what music we have to look forward to this fall:

Björk: The pride and joy of Iceland, Björk, will release her new album Biophilia on October 11. Her eclectic style has gained popular acknowledgment among many genres, and this album is no different. The tracks tell the story of the universe’s creation in song. The album will have a standard CD release and will also be released in a series of apps. Biophilia will be the world’s first app album in collaboration with Apple.

Coldplay: The much anticipated Mylo Xyloto is set to be released on October 24. Two songs from the tracklist have already been released, “Every Teardrop is A Waterfall” and “Paradise,” both of which have have been immensely popular. Coldplay guitarist, Jonny Buckland, spoke about the new record saying, “I suppose the theme would be letting loose musically; louder drums, louder guitars, more contrast. Then we wanted to go down to the most intimate moments, then back to the biggest we’ve ever been. We wanted to contain as many interesting ideas as we could fit into 42-and-a-half minutes.”

Scotty McCreery: The North Carolina native and American Idol winner debuts with his new album Clear as Day. The album was released on October 4 and skyrocketed to the number one spot on the iTunes charts. Scotty’s small town charm and appeal are evident in the album with themes of Friday night football, first kisses and growing up.  For all country music fans who love the sound of a deep bass voice, this album is for you.  

Feist: The Canadian singer-songwriter, most commonly known for her catchy “1234” song in the iPod commercials, released Metals on October 4. Her last album, The Reminder, was released in 2004 and earned Feist four Grammy Awards. The album presents a cohesive mixture of indie rock, pop and that beautiful voice.  

Kelly Clarkson: Stronger, to be released October 25, is the fifth album by the original American Idol winner, Kelly Clarkson. Clarkson describes the album as, “very much about strength and empowerment, so ‘Stronger’ felt like the perfect title. Plus, that song is just a gold mine–it’s a little bit of pop, little but of pop-rock, a little bit urban, a little bit dance, and it ties everything in.” The lead single from the album will be “Mr. Know It All.”

DJ Shadow: Joshua Davis, better known as DJ Shadow, released his new album, The Less You Know, The Better, on October 4.  The tracks show off his talent for transforming and manipulating samples of rare and unheard music. The album features guests such as De La Soul’s Posdnuos, Little Dragon’s Yukimi Nagano, Talib Kweli, Tom Vek and Afrikan Boy.

Drake: Following his 2010 release, Thank Me Later, Drake’s second studio album, Take Care, is scheduled for release on October 24. President of Young Money Entertainment, Mack Maine, talks about Drake saying, “His song making ability is crazy. Before, it might have been a hit, now it’s a super hit.”  The cover of the album has been released along with the first two singles, “Headlines” and “Marvin’s Room.”

Photos:
Björk (photo): Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biophilia_(album)
Coldplay album (photo): Stereogum, http://stereogum.com/781242/coldplay-mylo-xyloto-details/news/
Scott McCreery (photo): Newsday, http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/music/drops-scott-mccreery-debut-clear-as-day-1.3213442

Sophomore, PR major at UNC