This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

The Jonas Brothers are back, and I can’t believe I just wrote that! After all, the last time I was really into the Jonas Brothers was during their Disney days, when I thought a movie like Camp Rock was just super cool. Now the year is 2019, and the Jonas Brothers have reunited with wives and girlfriends, facial hair and a completely new sound. I mean, compared to the “Year 3000,” there’s something different about a song like “Sucker.” Is it more mature? Maybe. Is it more of a blend of their old rock sound with something distinctly, dare I say, modern? Absolutely. It’s a song that I could totally see charting high on the Billboard Hot 100 and playing on the radio several times a day. When I first heard it, I was actually nervous because I wasn’t sure what to expect, but I can tell you that it wasn’t “Sucker.” Not that there’s anything wrong with the song. On the contrary, it’s a total bop, and I found myself humming it the very next day. 

The Jonas Brothers first formed in 2005, and if that doesn’t make you feel old, then consider the fact that it’s been six years since they broke up back in 2013. Six years without the Jonas Brothers, leaving boy bands like One Direction and 5 Seconds of Summer to take their place. A lot of fans were genuinely upset when the brothers announced their split, and I can perhaps sympathize with them. After all, the Jonas Brothers were a large part of my childhood, and when I started to listen to some of their old music on YouTube, I couldn’t help but feel nostalgic. In 2005, I was only 8 years old, still in elementary school. When Jonas first aired on television in 2009, I was in middle school (three years of my life I sometimes awkwardly reflect on). In 2013, I was in high school, not really even thinking about college yet. In a way, the Jonas Brothers have been around for a good portion of my life, so yes, I can understand why fans were so incredibly excited when the brothers announced they were making a comeback.

Joe Jonas has also recently mentioned that there are as many as 40 more songs the brothers have recorded! I fully expect an album sometime soon. Not to mention there are talks of a Jonas Brothers tour. It’s like I’m getting a second chance to make it up to younger Casey who never had the opportunity to see the brothers perform at the peak of their popularity. Of course, by that I mean I have every intention of seeing the brothers on tour. I’m also looking forward to more music because “Sucker” is simply fantastic, and I trust that the three brothers can produce even more hit singles in the future. 

I’m certainly excited to see what the three have in store for us. Until then, we can all make do with “Jonas Week” on James Corden’s Late Late Show.

Casey Crisp

Chapel Hill '19

Casey is a current Senior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.  She is double majoring in English and History and minoring in Global Film studies.  Casey enjoys reading fantasy fiction, listening to music, and writing her own creative fiction.