Join the Her Campus UNC Staff

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Her Campus UNC is hiring writers, photographers and graphic designers for next semester! We are looking for girls who are familiar with our site and interested in learning about journalism or online publications. We accept girls and guys with varied levels of experience and we are willing to work with you to improve your skills. Our branch is continually ranked in the Top Ten out of more than 200 nationwide and is often published on the national Her Campus site; this is a great opportunity to join a staff that get’s so much recognition. We hosted a date auction this semester that raised more than $1,200 for CEO4Teens, a non-profit on campus, and we look forward to doing more amazing events like that this year.

To apply please email melissapaniagua@hercampus.com with a resume and a brief statement (4-5 sentences) about why you want to join Her Campus! Please specify which position(s) you are applying for, feel free to list more than one, articles are only turned in once every 3 weeks and many girls take on more than one job. We will be hiring through September 6!

Job Descriptions:
Writers:
Will be required to turn in a story 500-1,000 words once every three weeks on one of the following topics: Fitness/Sports, Fashion/Beauty, Arts/Entertainment, Travel/International, Business/Entrepreneurship, Blogging/Social Media, Career/Internships, Causes. If you want to write about something that you don’t think falls under these categories we are open to having different types of articles! We also post weekly events around campus, polls, profiles on Campus Celebrities and Campus Cuties. Our newest addition is our blog that asks Real Live College Girl’s & Guy’s about relationships and hooking up. Starting next semester we will also have a fashion blog that will be syndicated on Glamour.com.

Photographers: Will be required to turn in one photoblog every three weeks. You would pick a topic or something visual around campus or the community and write a few sentences to go with 5-7 photos that represent your story. This could be anything from covering a sporting event to looking at what shoes seem to be popular around campus! You are not required to have any photo experience and you can use your own digital cameras.

Graphic Designers
: This is a new position that we are looking for starting Spring semester. We want people to start creating photo montages for us, similar to this beachy one. With sites like tumblr and Pinterest so popular we thought it would be cool if designers could start combining some of the things we see around campus. This is a great way to bring national trends to the local level, maybe comparing how stars are wearing trends to how girls are campus are. We could also do visual profiles on students around campus like this “style file.” Since this will be a new type of post, we’re very open to new ideas!

PR Committee: These girls will be assisting our PR Chairs and Special Events Coordinator in publicizing articles and events throughout the semester. Along with posting on facebook, tweeting and hanging flyers to market for our site you will help plan for and assist at events.

Brittany is a senior Visual Communications major in the UNC-CH School of Journalism and an Entrepreneurship minor, originally from Frederick, MD. This summer she interned in the fashion department of O, The Oprah Magazine in NYC. She has interned at the Durham Herald-Sun Newspaper and as a multi-media producer for the UNC Foreign Language Department and School of Education. Brittany enjoys snowboarding, rock climbing, water sports and all things to do with the beach. In the future she hopes to work in the magazine industry, travel and continue practicing yoga.