Jeremiah McLeod ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Name: Jeremiah McLeod
Hometown:  Asheville, N.C.
Year:  2015
Major: Biochemistry
Relationship status:  Taken
Favorite Coldstone/Yopo Flavor: Coffee
Favorite place to eat on Franklin:  Pepper’s Pizza
Favorite TV series:  Seinfeld
Favorite Musician/Band:  Dave Matthews
Favorite Movie: Good Will Hunting
Favorite study spot on campus: On the quad is awesome when the weather’s nice. Davis is where I go if I need to get work done.
Motto to live by: Do what you feel in your heart to be right – for you’ll be criticized anyway. You’ll be damned if you do, and damned if you don’t. –Eleanor Roosevelt.  

There are a lot of adjectives that could describe Jeremiah McLeod, this week’s campus cutie.
But you can’t capture Jeremiah with descriptive words: He is a verb man –a doer of things.
He plays alto saxophone, rows for the UNC Men’s Rowing Team, does research in the Neuroimaging Department at UNC Med School, and, in his spare time, jumps from waterfalls.
He can play the guitar, explain the Carbonium ion, and ask you about your day… in French.
He competes at everything (even board games). He sings. He hikes. He hopes to be a Neurologist one day.
He does many things because he loves many things. To him, that is what makes being at UNC so great, he said – being surrounded by people who have many interests, too.
Below, Jeremiah answers questions about UNC, singing and what’s next for him after college.
What is your favorite part about UNC?
It’s nice to know that there are so many intelligent people at UNC with such diverse backgrounds, who can balance both academics and time to have fun.
I definitely like the aspect that (UNC)  is different from other universities, because as strong as UNC is academically, you still see people out on the quad.  To me, it is just as important to interact with other people as everything else is. It helps me get everything else done.
I like to joke around. I like to take things lightly, but I recognize the imortance of getting stuff done too.
What do you want to do after college?
I would love to go to med school. I would like to do surgery in some aspect. Neurology would be nice if I can.
Who is your biggest influence?
My dad is definitely a huge influence in my life. He has always been there for me.
What is one thing you would like to do before you graduate/before you die?
I’m planning on doing a minor in French,  and before I graduate, I’d like to study abroad in France. I’ve never been, and I feel like it would help a lot with my conversational.
Why do you like French?
It is romantic, haha, but I’ve always liked the way it sounds.
What’s the most interesting place you’ve traveled thus far in your life/Do you hope to travel anywhere other than France?
Four of my friends and I went on a road trip to California a few summers ago, and  I had a blast. But I’d like to go to Australia some day.

Melissa Paniagua is a senior journalism major at The University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, specializing in public relations. She is currently a fashion market intern at ELLE Magazine. On campus, Melissa acts as the Her Campus president as well as the vice president of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors, UNC’s Ed2010 chapter. In the past, she has been an intern for Southern Weddings Magazine and a contributing writer for Her Campus. Melissa has an appreciation for all things innovative, artful and well designed and hopes to work in marketing for a women’s lifestyle magazine in the future!