The Inside Scoop On UNC’s Libraries

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

We all know about Davis, the Undergraduate Library and Wilson, but this campus is full of many other libraries.  Start your new year and new semester off right by finding a study space that works for you.

Art (Sloane) LibraryLocation: Hanes Art CenterHours: 8 a.m.-9 p.m. Mon-Thu; 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Fri; 12 p.m.-5 p.m. Sat; 3 p.m.-9 p.m. SunThis medium sized library is full of comfy chairs and groups of carrels.  Located right across from Granville and big frat court, this cozy library does attract groups of fraternity brothers, which could come in handy for those spring date functions.  Just don’t forget to study!

Government (Knapp) LibraryLocation: Knapp-Sanders Bldg.Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Mon-FriThe government library may be a little farther than Davis, depending on where you live, but this quiet and cozy library usually remains fairly empty.  So, there are usually plenty of comfy chairs or tables open for studying.  This library also contains many newspapers, which could come in handy for classes.

Health Sciences LibraryLocation: South Columbia St.Hours: 7:30 a.m.-12 a.m. Mon-Thu; 7:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Fri; 12 p.m.-5 p.m. Sat; 12 p.m.- 12 a.m. SunThe Health Sciences Library is a hidden gem.  This library seems similar to Davis, but it’s even cozier.  Even the carrels in the stacks are comfortable places to study.  The ground floor of this library even has a café, and there are vending machines scattered throughout the library as well.  Many comfy chairs also fill the ground floor.  Located on South Columbia St., this library isn’t too far from South Campus or North Campus, and it’s especially close to the hospital.

Information and Library Science LibraryLocation: Manning HallHours: 7:45 a.m.-10 p.m. Mon-Thu; 7:45 a.m.-6 p.m. Fri; 12 p.m.-10 p.m. SunThis library, located in Manning Hall, takes you back to your elementary school library.  Filled with bright colors and comfy furniture, this library serves as a happy and comfortable place to study.  Although somewhat small, this library usually seems fairly empty, and its location right in the middle of campus makes it a convenient place to study.

Journalism (Park) LibraryLocation: Carroll Hall, Second FloorHours: 8:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Mon-Thu; 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. FriThe Park library, although somewhat small, provides a quiet and convenient place to study, especially for those taking classes in or near Carroll Hall.  This library has 11 Macs available for use, and also contains copies of the latest issues of the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal.

Law LibraryLocation: Van Hecke-Wettach HallHours: 7:30 a.m.-12 a.m. Mon-Thu; 7:30 a.m.-8 p.m. Fri; 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Sat; 10 a.m.-12 a.m. SunIf I had to describe this library in three words I would say this: Davis on steroids.  This fairly large library has study spaces like large tables, carrels and comfy chairs that seem similar to those in Davis, yet much nicer.  Also, this library seems even quieter than the main floor of Davis, which may make it easier to study.  However, in places like the entrance, there are comfy chairs and study spaces that may be more social.

Music LibraryLocation: Wilson Library (East Entrance)Hours: 8 a.m.-9:30 p.m. Mon-Thu; 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Fri; 1 p.m.-9:30 p.m. SunLocated in part of Wilson, this library is located in the middle of campus, and right across from the Daily Grind (coffee anyone?).  Although not the coziest in parts, this isolated library does have a comfortable room full of couches and comfy chairs that’s nestled in the stacks.

Science (Kenan) LibraryLocation: Venable HallHours: 8 a.m.-7 p.m. Mon-Thu; 8 a.m.-5 p.m. FriThe Kenan Library seems newer and cozier.  Located in Venable Hall, it might be a great place to study before a lab.  This library usually stays fairly quiet and fairly empty, making it a great place for students to study.  And if there aren’t any spaces available in the library, Venable Hall has some benches and tables right outside of the library that could also be useful study spaces.

Science Library AnnexLocation: Wilson Library (South Entrance)Hours: 8 a.m.-8 p.m. Mon-Thu; 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Fri; 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Sat; 1 p.m.-6 p.m. SunThis place is definitely a little creepy, but if you’re a person that likes studying in very empty and very isolated places, this could be a good place for you to study.  Near the entrance are some comfy couches, and the rest of the annex mostly contains carrels and a few desks.

Stone Center LibraryLocation: Stone Center, Third FloorHours: 8 a.m.-8 p.m. Mon-Thu; 8 a.m.-5 p.m. FriThe third floor of the Stone Center contains this relaxing library.  Although small, this library has many options for study spaces such as carrels, big tables, comfy chairs and study rooms.  This library usually stays fairly empty and quiet as well.

Other Study Spaces Worth Checking Out:

The Global Education Center (particularly the fourth floor), the Genome Sciences building, lounges in Caudill Labs, Graham Memorial Hall, the Student and Academic Services Buildings, the Student Union and random classrooms throughout campus

For more information on these libraries, please visit http://hours.lib.unc.edu

For a map of the libraries on campus, please visit http://www.maps.unc.edu/CampusMaps/PdfMaps/Libraries.pdf

Photos courtesy of library.unc.edu, sog.unc.edu, hsl.lib.unc.edu, Caroline Culler (Wikipedia).

Mikala is majoring in Journalism (Public Relations Specialization) and Global Studies and is minoring in Hispanic Studies. Her learning experiences both from PR courses and from outside PR experiences have led to Mikala's aspiration to become a PR practitioner. She hopes to continue learning more about PR through her current experiences and through future internships. 
Megan McCluskey is a recent graduate from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a B.A. with Distinction in Journalism and Mass Communication, and a second major in French. She has experience as a Campus Correspondent and Contributing Writer for Her Campus, a Public Relations Consultant for The V Foundation, an Editorial Assistant for TV Guide Magazine and Carolina Woman magazine, a Researcher for MTV, and a Reporter and Webmaster for the Daily Tar Heel. She is an obsessive New England Patriots and Carolina basketball fan, and loves spending time with her friends and family (including her dogs), going to the beach, traveling, reading, online shopping and eating bad Mexican food.