I Wear Sweatpants because I Ride the Bus! What’s Your Excuse?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

It’s 6:30 a.m. Your alarm is ringing. You were up the night before until 1:30 a.m.  Decision time–Get up? Sacrifice that extra hour of sleep to look exceptionally manicured? Do you ever wonder, “What’s the point? Do people even notice or pay attention to what I’m wearing?” Read on to find out.

Seven UNC collegiates explain their clothing choices and reactions they normally receive:

Lucero Sifuentes (Freshman):

“I feel like as a freshman, we pay more attention to older guys staring and we get all dressed up. I’m sure later, when we feel more comfortable and are not trying to make an impression, it will be different. I feel like girls base their self-worth on what guys opinions are of them.  So, a girl will think she’s pretty if guys think she’s pretty.”

When asked how she gets ready, Sifuentes replied, “I dress up like 4 out of the 5 days. One day I’ll be casual, but even then I coordinate my shoes and jewelry because I don’t want to be mismatched.”

Katherine Zamora (Freshman):

“Well, for me it’s different because I’m from Miami, which is sadly superficial. I dress here how I would dress in Miami and there I would never go out in sweatpants or running shorts. I only wear those clothes at home.”

“Also, here it’s almost like you’re competing with other people–especially with other girls. I care what other girls would say about my outfit.”

Left: Lucero Sifuentes; Right: Katherine Zamora

Elizabeth Smith (Senior):

“Normally, I wear jeans and a t-shirt.”

“My friends will say something if I look good. I also feel different in jeans versus in sweatpants. Wearing sweatpants makes me feel like I never woke up. I can’t be productive if I never woke up.”

Elizabeth Smith

Grey Davenport (Senior):

“My major is athletic training. So, one of my classes is Rehab; once a week we go into the lab and have to actually do the stuff that we learned. I figure wearing running shorts is easier than bringing clothes to change. Plus, it’s more comfortable.”

Do you notice a change in the reactions from guys when you do wear other clothes?

“Honestly, I don’t pay attention to random guys, but the guys that I’m friends with notice.” Davenport jokingly adds, “Or they will be like, ‘you look nice today,’ when I’m not wearing Nike shorts. Jeans, now that’s a step up for me!”

Grey Davenport

Meagan Metkowski (Senior):

So what happens when you look more sophisticated?

“I definitely notice a difference in attention. People are friendlier to you and you get more smiles from others that you don’t know–especially outside of the college (like on Franklin Street). It’s not like I’m wearing something provocative, either. People say something like, “Hey beautiful,” and yeah, while it may be creepy that perfect strangers are commenting, it shows that people in the real world notice the extra effort, too.”  

Meagan Metkowski

Erin Holcomb (Senior) and Caitlin Yaniec (Senior):

What do you guys normally wear and why?

While scrambling for a profound statement, the following phrase escaped Holcombe’s mouth, “I wear sweatpants because I ride the bus.” Translation: “I wear sweatpants because, to me, it’s just easier to be comfortable getting to and being on campus, especially when I’m running around all day.”

Do you notice a difference in the reactions from guys on campus when you dress up?

Yaniec said, “I don’t look at guys. I don’t look at them look at me because it creeps me out.” She added, “It definitely depends what day it is and when I have class. With my morning classes you’re definitely going to catch me in running shorts. But, if I have a little bit more time then I might put some effort into getting ready (especially if I’m going to be on camera). I figure I should try to look professional. Otherwise, I think if you have confidence in yourself that you look good, you can pull off anything.”

Is professionalism a substantial factor in deciding your appearance?

Holcombe said, “Well I’ve actually had a teacher comment on appearances before. THIS IS A TRUE STORY. He told my class, ‘You guys really need to dress more professional.  Leggings are not professional and no one will take you seriously.’”

Yaniec added, “In my opinion, it’s all about the way you carry yourself–not really what you’re wearing. I’ve seen girls in sweats that look like they could bust onto a runway and catwalk at any moment, but I’ve seen girls that are wearing really cute outfits but have their head to the ground and no one notices them.”

Holcombe concluded, “I don’t expect to get attention when I’m dressed like this.”

Caitlin Yaniec

Erin Holcomb

Now most of you know a girl’s perspective on dressing for class. However, what impression to guys get from your clothing?

Chandler Inions  (Sophomore)

Real clothes vs. sweat pants impression?

“Ok, well I’m thinking one of two things.  Number one: The girl that’s all dressed up, well, she’s putting forth the effort to look nice today, so good for her.  More power to her.  I think confidence comes a lot from how you look.  So, if you look good then you feel good.  Number two: To each their own. If you’re comfortable, then by all means do your thing.  You’re here going to class too. Enjoy yourself.

Although, for the people that do put on the sweat pants frequently, no offense, that’s a bit lazy.

Basically, something can be said about people with good fashion sense, and so I feel like the people that do go above and beyond, are worthy of at least a turning the eye and checking them out.  But also, if you are genuinely good looking and you’re wearing sweat pants a guy will still turn his eye to you.”  

Do you think some people try to hard? Is it a turnoff?

“Oh, absolutely.  Maybe they’re trying to cover something up.  I wouldn’t say it’s a turn off, but the light’s not full beam, if you get what I mean.”

Eric Ebron (Freshman)  

Are you more attracted to a girl more one way or the other?

“I mean, it don’t matter.  She’s gonna look how she wants to look.  You just gotta catch her on her good days and bad days.  Everybody has good days and bad days.

T.J. Thorpe (Freshman)

“Maybe somebody who is wearing sweat pants just doesn’t want to be noticed as much as a person who routinely gets ready.”

More attractive one way or the other?

“I think if you’re attractive then you’re just attractive.  But, I’d probably be more drawn to somebody who is dressed up on that particular day.  They would probably catch my eye first.”

Kyle Delappe  (Senior):

“If it’s too fancy then it might turn me off a little bit.  I have no problem with somebody wearing sweat pants to class.  Because, basically, guys do the same thing- I don’t know why girls shouldn’t be allowed to either, ya know.  I would think it’s strange though if her hair and make-up are done-up all fancy, but she’s wearing sweat pants though.  If you’re gonna put in that much effort, then you should go all the way.”     

Zach Connell (Senior):

“My initial perception of the girl that is just in sweatpants, depending on how she is acting, is that she is just lazy.  I mean, there’s definitely a different degree to being comfortable.  I’m in exercise, a Sports Science major and I obviously just wear shorts and t-shirts to class.  But outside of that, I would think she just doesn’t care versus a girl that takes care of herself.  Maybe she just wanted to take extra time to help herself feel better or so that more people will notice her-so that’s what she’s about.  I guess that’s my take on it.”

Turn on either way?

“I guess it depends on the degree because if a girl dresses up a lot and she is really fidgety with her hair and such, then that’s a turn-off.  But if she just obviously takes better care of herself and puts off a better image, then yeah, that is more attractive to me.  But at the same time, if a girl is comfortable and confident wearing her sweatpants in public and not really giving off the vibes of being a slouch (which is kinda a double-negative but to me it’s a hard-to-define gray area) then that’s hot too.”

Anonymous (Junior):

“Yeah, I mean I try to wake up a few minutes earlier every morning, take a shower, get ready and look presentable, so I think, I think a girl is more put together if she looks put together.  But, sometimes, I like my snooze button and end up running late.  I guess it’s just a balance.  Not too much of one way or the other.  As long as it’s not an everyday thing for her to dress-down, then it’s definitely acceptable and understandable to me.”

Next time that you have an early morning class, wear whatever you want to wear.  But if you do decide on the gym clothes, just make sure you’re aware of the “bad days” (Ebron) impression that people could deduct from your outfit.  Moral of the story: There are days to be comfortable in your surroundings and there are other days to take the world by storm. But, to do this, make sure you dress the part.  

Sophomore, PR major at UNC