How Television Skewed My Perception of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

My best friends would attend the same college as me

When you’re younger, you don’t really recognize that eventually, you and your friends are going to go separate ways. You talk about college as a “we” and it’s exciting. Then you figure out not everyone you’re close to goes to the same university and the sadness hit you that you won’t be hanging out forever. In Boy Meets World, Topanga changed her college plans to go where Cory was going; Shawn, who originally wasn’t even planning on going to college went where Cory and Topanga were; Jack, Shawn’s half-brother, went to the same college; and, Eric was there. Cory had his people! This was also true for Saved by the Bell, but they nixed Lisa and Jesse.

My favorite teacher would follow me all the way until college so they could teach me everything

Of course this is also referring to Boy Meets World, and of course it’s referring to everyone’s favorite television teacher, Mr. Feeny. George Feeny was there for Cory, Topanga and Shawn from the very beginning of school up until College. He even looked after them on nights, weekends and holidays because he was Cory’s next door neighbor! I really used to want one of my teachers to follow me through school and give me life, and then I decided it was for the best they weren’t like Mr. Feeny.

A famous singer would come to perform and would hold auditions for students to be back-up dancers

On A Different World, which was a spin-off from The Cosby Show, Gladys Knight came to perform for the students of Hillman College. In the episode, Knight has a competition for students to win a spot as back up singers during her performance. After seeing that, I assumed one day, during college, someone famous would come to perform and I would have the opportunity to audition be impressive and blow someone away and become famous–okay, maybe not the get famous part…but maybe just a little bit. Either way, no part of that came true for me. Here’s a link to the entire episode!

You could introduce a friend to your young professor to help them find love, and help your class get better grades

This happened in The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Will had a professor who was giving everyone in the class terrible grades due to a crumbling relationship. To deal with this problem, Will introduces the professor to Hilary, while she is still trying to cope with Trevor’s death. This would never work out in real life–mainly because none of my professors are in the same age range as my friends and would, therefore, probably not have anything at all in common.

College is when I either get married or meet the man I would one day marry

In A Different World, Whitley and Dwayne met while attending Hillman College and eventually got married. Cory and Topanga got married during their college years on Boy Meets World and Kelly and Zack at least started their wedding planning during college. I always assumed this would be something that would happen to me in college, finding the guy I wanted to spend my life with…I was wrong. As it turns out, I really don’t mind. On the other hand, this has been the case for many of the amazing women I know! They’re either currently engaged or already married! If this has happened for you, you go Glen Coco!

Image Sources:

http://collider.com/boy-meets-world-cast-girl-meets-world-rider-strong/

http://www.nea.org/home/36319.htm

http://www.ovguide.com/tv_season/the-fresh-prince-of-belair-season-4-76738

http://thegrio.com/2010/09/16/slideshow-tv-couples-with-chemistry/#s:cosby_couple-jpg

Melissa Paniagua is a senior journalism major at The University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, specializing in public relations. She is currently a fashion market intern at ELLE Magazine. On campus, Melissa acts as the Her Campus president as well as the vice president of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors, UNC’s Ed2010 chapter. In the past, she has been an intern for Southern Weddings Magazine and a contributing writer for Her Campus. Melissa has an appreciation for all things innovative, artful and well designed and hopes to work in marketing for a women’s lifestyle magazine in the future!