This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

I will, for the first time, spend a summer in Chapel Hill. I’ve heard mixed reviews about summers here – some say it’s boring, others say its the most relaxed, chill time they’ve spent here. I’m hoping for the latter, and I’m already making a list of things I want to do and see this summer. It’ll be the first and last blissful summer I spend here, and I plan to make it count.

1. Firstly, food. In my three years here at UNC, I’ve been making a mental list of the restaurants I want to visit.  While I’ve managed to cross a few off, there are numerous spots I’m still eager to try. This includes but is not limited to: Kipos, Al’s Burger Shack, Lime & Basil, and Carolina Coffee Shop for brunch. I want to leave Chapel Hill with expertise in the dining around here, and this summer I plan to become an aficionado.

2. Chapel Hill is surrounded by nature on all sides and is a great area for hiking, jogging or afternoon walks. I recently discovered Bolin Creek Trail, which is a little slice of green, leafy heaven stuck in the middle of the hustle and bustle of Chapel Hill. Other parks around the area include the William B. Umstead State Park and Cedar Falls Park, which offer trails, playgrounds, and scenic views.

3. Because Carrboro is so unique, I just had to give it its own section. Everytime I drive or walk through Carrboro, I am constantly finding new places I want to explore – restaurants, shops and everything in between. I am hoping to try Southern Rail, Weaver Street Market, the Spotted Dog, Milltown, Acme, and see what all Carr Mill Mall has to offer (besides Elmos!).

4. Last but not least, I’m excited to spend some time in the bars around Chapel Hill. With no class as an excuse, what do I have to keep me from bar hopping this summer? I plan to spend time at the picnic tables at He’s Not, on the deck at Topo (drinking a blueberry wheat, of course), and under the twinkle lights at Tru. Senior year will go by fast, so I want to make sure I take time during the summer to relax at my favorite spots.

Overall, I’m so excited to spend the next few months in my favorite place and experience all that this splendid Southern town has to offer! I hope I will end the summer feeling like a true Chapel Hillian, and discover some Chapel Hill secrets along the way.