College Women Freeze Eggs
College Women Freeze Eggs
Molly Longest / Her Campus

How “Sex Education” Promotes Education and Awareness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Netflix’s Sex Education is a brilliant, sex-positive, coming-of-age show that promotes education and awareness in the most delightful way.

The first season was released in January 2019, followed by a second in January 2020. The show was an immediate hit, especially among teenage audiences who found that it answered a lot of questions that they may have been too embarrassed to ask.

The series touches on a variety of different topics, from bullying to fetishes to STIs and much, much more.

Shedding light on these issues is integral to the plot, and the show promotes awareness on the complexity of sexual health. However, the show always speaks on these topics in a subtle, yet informative way that never feels forced.

Sex Education also portrays serious, complex issues in a way that’s easy to comprehend and digest. For example, the series deals with and brings awareness to internalized homophobia, as well as sexual assault.

The show handles representation in a similar way. The cast is very diverse, but it doesn’t ever seem forced. Many shows fall into the trap of making a minority character’s entire arc focus on the minority they represent. Sex Education doesn’t follow this trend. The characters all have their own multi-dimensional personalities and storylines that aren’t solely centered around one piece of their identity.

If you’re looking for a sex-positive show with great representation, look no further. Netflix’s Sex Education promotes sexual health and informs audiences on a variety of complex issues. It features a lot of quality, intersectional representation with its diverse cast and characters. And it does all of this without ever feeling inorganic.   

Madison Prentice

Chapel Hill '23

Madison is a first-year from Cary, North Carolina. She's an Advertising & Public Relations major with a minor in Spanish for Business. You can find her on Instagram at @mcprentice or on Twitter at @mcprentice8.