How to Plan an Amazing Road Trip

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

It’s finally beautiful outside, and what better way to soak up the sun than driving to the beach? Road trips are the ultimate college vacation, and here’s how to make the most of it:

1. Invite friends

Sounds obvious, but a lot of thought should go into this. You want a low-maintenance crew that is OK getting sand in the car and going to a hot guy’s bonfire with a last minute invitation. Also, make sure they can drive. This can actually be more problematic than it sounds. Trust me, you do not want to get stuck driving to Los Angeles with a girl who is scared to go over 50 mph. And yes, I’m speaking from experience.

2. Make a playlist

There is no such thing as a silent fun car ride. Especially with road trips, the real driving emphasis is on the music. Whatever your style– country, rock, jazz, etc.– have at least a few hours worth of songs ready to go. An iPhone plug-in is the easiest way to go, but good old-fashioned mix tapes work just as well too (I guess for most cars such “tapes” will actually be CDs, but you get the idea). Oh, and definitely include the “Grease” soundtrack. Summer Lovin’ will get you in the summer spirit as you drive along the coast.

3. Pick a fun destination

Again, this sounds pretty obvious. But if you’re not entirely pumped to go to wherever that car is taking you, the road trip will feel endless. Personally, I vote for the beach. So grab your swimsuits and sunscreen and pack up your car with boogie boards and towels!

4. Take a ton of pictures

You know what they say: a picture says a thousand words. An Instagramed filtered picture also says a thousands “likes.” Document your road trip not just for your followers but also for your own personal memories. It’s college, you’re gorgeous, you’re with your friends, and it’s summer. Have fun!!

(and yes, this picture is from Disney’s “Teen Beach Movie.” Hey, I like the good stuff.)

Lastly, be safe. Don’t drink and drive or do anything stupid like that. Have a great summer, and keep road tripping!