This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Guys take pride in their coolers and brag about that sweet, southern gal who made it for them. Ladies, that means you have to be at the top of your game. Whether you are in a sorority or not, guys feel special when you take the time to make them something, especially if it has meaning behind it. Which is why the first and most important step to cooler painting like a pro is deciding what is important to your guy. Find out what he is really passionate about. Then figure out how you can represent that visually. If you put a little extra thought into it he will be wowed by how you remembered that he always wears a Christian Fish necklace under his shirt and that growing-up he was fascinated by lighthouses.  

Once you have hammered out your ideas and decided if you want one central theme or if each side of the cooler will represent something different, it is time to buy your cooler! If you have a lot of time (or are just up for a challenge) you can go with a larger cooler, otherwise I would suggest buying a small one. You will also need lots of newspapers to contain your mess, acrylic paints, assorted sizes of brushes, and Mod Podge. Primer is optional, but suggested.

Start by taking off any stickers and cleaning off all surfaces for dirt and dust. If you have primer, apply it next and let it dry. When I painted my cooler, I chose not to use primer and instead applied two base coats of paint to make it a beautiful Carolina blue!

When you apply your base color (if you are not using the color of the cooler) make sure you paint it on smoothly. The thicker the paint, the more likely it is to peel off. Make sure all coats of paint are completely dry before you start painting any designs. For your designs, it is easier to draw lightly in pencil and then paint over it. This will also help prevent mistakes. Also, work on one side at a time and let each side dry completely before moving on to the next one.

A sweet finishing touch is to write a note for your guy on the bottom of the cooler. I made my cooler as a Valentine’s Day present and let the bottom serve as the card!

After you are finished and all the paint has dried, paint on a coat of Mod Podge. Do not freak out when it goes on white. It will dry clear. After it has dried, paint on another coat…and maybe a third one just to be safe. The Mod Podge is your sealer and will help protect your work. Unfortunately, it still won’t be able to stand a lot of wear and tear so keep your paints in case you need to do some touch-ups later.

Once you have completed these steps you are done! Your guy will have a super snazzy cooler to show off and he will have you to thank for it!  

Sarah Delk

Chapel Hill

Sarah Delk is a senior Journalism and Mass Communications – Editing and Graphic Design major at UNC-Chapel Hill. She is originally from Asheboro, NC, where she graduated from Southwestern Randolph High School. Sarah is a National Contributing Writer at HerCampus.com. Previously, she interned at the Carolina Union in the marketing and design department and at Progressive Business Media in the web and production departments. She loves creating illustrations, running the trails at her house and cheering on UNC-CH athletics. She is currently obsessed with teal nail polish and the book series A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. Sarah hopes to travel the world someday, after she becomes a famous graphic designer and illustrator.
Megan McCluskey is a recent graduate from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a B.A. with Distinction in Journalism and Mass Communication, and a second major in French. She has experience as a Campus Correspondent and Contributing Writer for Her Campus, a Public Relations Consultant for The V Foundation, an Editorial Assistant for TV Guide Magazine and Carolina Woman magazine, a Researcher for MTV, and a Reporter and Webmaster for the Daily Tar Heel. She is an obsessive New England Patriots and Carolina basketball fan, and loves spending time with her friends and family (including her dogs), going to the beach, traveling, reading, online shopping and eating bad Mexican food.