How to Make an Isolated Holiday Feel Special

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Christmas is my absolute favorite time of the year. The way winter holidays work out for me is kind of intense. I hit Halloween, Thanksgiving, my birthday, Christmas and New Year’s Eve within the span of two months, so there’s a lot of cake, gifts and cheer flying around. As I’m sure many of us were, I was totally bummed when I realized how different the holidays would look this year with COVID regulations. Hopefully, I can help you all (and myself) find ways to spice up your holiday, even if it doesn’t look totally normal!

Holiday Cards

There are quite a few holidays coming up over the next month or two. Though it may not be your traditional style, cards are a great way to connect with friends and family members you’re unable to see in person during this time. Personally, I keep most of the cards I receive by mail and hang them up so I can reread them whenever I want. Plus, it can be super exciting to get some good old-fashioned snail mail. 

Decorate!

Just because you can’t have a ton of people over for a big potluck doesn’t mean you can’t dress up your living space. Get in the holiday mood by busting out your favorite pieces and getting cozy with a cup of hot cocoa.

Learn to Make Something New

My mom loves Linzer tarts, so I’ve tried very hard to make them for her. Unfortunately, they haven’t been quite ~perfect~ yet. But, that means I have a skill to work on and an excuse to make (and eat) tons of cookies! Learning to make something new can be super fun and allows you to be creative in the kitchen. 

Have a (Virtual) Gingerbread House Competition

Want to win some holiday clout? Challenge your best pals to a “decorate-off!” Personally, I can never get my candy to stick without making a total mess of my icing but I always have a ton of fun trying to decorate. Zoom your friends and watch in real-time as they attempt to become masters in engineering and exterior design. 

Go for a Drive to Look at Holiday Lights

I loooove holiday lights. Something about those twinkling multicolored strands in the dark of a winter night is just so magical. This year, try taking a trip to see your favorite house or go on an adventure to find houses you haven’t seen before. 

Book Swap

Whether you’re in-person or miles away, swapping novels can be a great gift for any holiday. There are a few different ways you can do this: trade your favorites, Secret-Santa or even a chain exchange. In my family, we started a new tradition where we buy one other family member a book and some chocolate. On Christmas Eve, everyone gets sent to their room to read some of their novel and munch on a tasty treat before bedtime. 

That is all I have for you! I hope you have wonderful holidays and find some joy in the unexpected. Remember to stay positive; we’re all trying our best to cope right now and holidays can cause added stress for some people. Be kind to others and spread cheer this holiday season!

Eve Bennett

Chapel Hill '23

I am a current sophomore who writes and edits for Her Campus Chapel Hill.