Career

How to Improve Your Online Presence for Job Recruiters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Over the past few years, I’ve been more conscious about what I put out there on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. You never know who is looking. Job recruiters have so many ways to do background checks on applicants, including stalking your social media, so don’t make all your secrets public.

Here are a few tips on how to improve your online presence and make yourself look good for job recruiters.

Twitter

In 2019, Twitter had over 330 million monthly active users – take advantage of that.  As a Journalism major, I love Twitter. I can post all of my writing, support other student journalists and follow news outlets to stay aware of everything going on in the world. For whatever career path you are going down, I recommend making a twitter. Share your work, share others’ work and stay connected.

LinkedIn

Networking is essential to any job or career path, and I am continuously connecting with people on LinkedIn. I also like it because whatever work experience I am not able to fit on my resume, I can put it on LinkedIn. So many companies are on LinkedIn and consistently posting job opportunities – maybe one of those opportunities could be your next job. 

Facebook

Facebook still remains the most popular social media outlet today, with more than 2.45 billion monthly active users. Make a business page for yourself! You can invite people to like the page and advertise what you do.

Make your own website

A website can be helpful for job recruiters because everything they need can be on there. Treat it like a portfolio. I know buying a website domain can get pricey, but there are so many companies, such as Weebly, Squarespace, and Wix, that let you make your own website for free.

Social media is fun for staying connected with old friends, but it is a powerful tool to help you get hired!

(Also, feel free to connect with me on any of these networks!)

Jackie Sizing

Chapel Hill '21

Hello! My name is Jackie Sizing, and I am a junior at UNC-Chapel Hill. I enjoy writing about pop culture, lifestyle, and food!