This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

When at school, my room is my happy place. It is where I go to de-stress and relax after a long day of classes, and it is also where I usually study and do homework. College is stressful AF, and my room makes it more bearable! Whether your room is where you spend most of your time relaxing, watching Netflix, or doing homework, or where you rarely are and only go to for sleep, having a peaceful space is a game changer while in college!

1. Declutter

I hate cleaning as much as the next person, but it really makes you feel productive! Not only does the act itself boost one’s productivity, but having a cleaner room automatically makes for a much calmer and more relaxing atmosphere. A great way to keep your room neat and tidy is by organizing it – invest in bins and tubs at Target or Walmart!

2. Aromatherapy

No peaceful environment can go without a calming scent! Some scents, such as lavender and jasmine, have been proven to have a relaxing effect. However, as someone who does not care for the smell of lavender or jasmine, I find any of my favorite scents to be just as effective. Choose a scent that makes the time you spend in your bedroom worthwhile. Candles, pillow sprays, and oil diffusers are a few ways you can make your room smell amazing and pleasing!

3. Add Neutral Colors

Light, neutral colors make for a more peaceful bedroom. Vibrant colors tend to have an opposite effect by being too stimulating, while colors like beige, light brown, and light blue have a more calming effect. You don’t have to repaint your entire room, but you can include these colors in room additions, such as pillows, blankets, and paintings.

4. Add Texture

Incorporating textures in your room makes it feel cozy and welcoming. Do this by adding fluffy blankets and pillows on your bed, displaying a woven, macrame hanging, posting a silky tapestry, or by laying out a layered rug! No room is complete without textures, which come in many forms. Textures give a room dimension and are incredibly soothing to the eye. Leaving a room without textures causes it to feel cold and empty; however, too much texture can be too busy for some people. Find your own balance!

5. Blackout Curtains

I invested in blackout curtains my sophomore year of college, and WOW. It makes all the difference! No matter what kind of blinds a room has, a few rays of sunshine always manage to squeeze through them. Not only do blackout curtains block out any morning sunlight that might wake you up prematurely, but they are also great for blocking out any kind of light that might wake you up at night, such as street lamps and headlights. They create a wonderful cave-like atmosphere, and they are perfect for those mid-day naps!

Creating peaceful vibes in your room helps to balance the chaos that is college life. College is a very stressful time in anyone’s life, and no matter how much time you spend in your room, having tranquility at home makes everything so much easier and tolerable. It doesn’t hurt that adding these things means a trip to your local Target!

Emmy Barcelona

Chapel Hill '19

A senior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Emmy is majoring in English and Psychology.