Holiday Gifts that Give Back!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Trees have been bought; twinkling lights have been strung; ornaments have been hung, and Christmas carols are blaring through the speakers of every shopping mall and restaurant.  

Although the holiday season is a favorite for many, we know that it can also be accompanied by the unwelcome pressure of buying presents for your loved ones. Luckily there is no need to stress any longer because we at Her Campus are here to help you with your gift shopping worries and woes. What could be better than purchasing a gift that not only brings a smile to your friend’s face but also benefits a well deserving charity? There is no time like the holidays for giving gifts and giving back, which is why we have found a few fabulous items that are sure to be at the top of every Collegiete’s wish list:

Spirit Hoods
While the weather may still be unseasonably warm in Chapel Hill, there’s no better gift than a cozy hat for the chilly winter weather to come. Spirit Hoods are the perfect combination of functional and fashionable with their comfortable fabrics and adorable designs. From the Brown Bear, to the Night Owl, to the Snow Leopard, to even Kermit, you can easily emulate any of your favorite furry creatures while braving the cold. No wonder celebrities like Khloé Kardashian, Vanessa Hudgens and Ke$ha have all been spotted wrapped up in the snug accessories! What makes a Spirit Hood an even more tempting present is that when you purchase one with a PRO BLUE logo, 10% of net profits are donated to a non-profit organization dedicated to the helping that particular Spirit animal. The list of organizations includes Polar Bears International, the Snow Leopard Conservancy, Wolf Hollow, and Pandas International. So get in the holiday spirit—have a heart, help an animal and look absolutely adorable doing it!

Toms Shoes
Toms have been popular for some time and now the brand has expanded to include different shoe styles, patterns and fabrics. Their new holiday glitter and houndstooth collections are a great excuse to snag a pair for a friend. You don’t even have to feel guilty for purchasing a pair for yourself—the company matches each purchased pair with a pair of new shoes given to a child in need.

Wayuu Taya Bags
The tribal trend always seems to be in style and with a handmade Wayuu Taya “Susu” bag, you are sure to be on trend. Whether you are in need of a new accessory or are jetting off to a tropical island to escape the cold, these bright and bold bags are the perfect companion for all of you fashionable Collegiettes and your lucky loved ones. Each gorgeous, eye-catching design is brought to life over a period of 160 hours by Wayuu indigenous women in Venezuela and Colombia, 90 percent of the proceeds going back to their communities.

Under the Mistletoe
Just when we thought there couldn’t possibly be any more “beliebers” in the world, Justin Bieber came out with his latest album, Under the Mistletoe. Although his voice has deepened and his signature locks have been chopped off, Justin proves to be as swoon-worthy as ever, immediately landing the album at the top of the charts. The holiday album boasts a mix of traditional Christmas covers, original songs, and collaborations with Usher, Mariah Carey, and Boyz II Men. Bieber has even decided to donate some of the proceeds to his “Believe Charity Campaign” which raises millions of dollars for charities such as the Make-A-Wish Foundation, Pencils of Promise, Musicians on Call, City of Hope, the Boys & Girls Club of America, Project Medishare and the GRAMMY foundation.

Ciao Aria Bracelets
Looking for the perfect accessory to top off a holiday ensemble?  You can complete any outfit with an armful of Ciao Aria bracelets.  These bold, bright and studded wrap bracelets will brighten up your day and your wardrobe! As if this wasn’t great enough already, 10 percent of sales go to the charity of your choice. The charities up for selection include the Nature Conservancy, Tuesday’s Children, The Breast Cancer Research Foundation, Reading is Fundamental, the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and the Ronald McDonald House Charity.

There you have it, Collegiettes—five charitable gifts that your friends and family will love to find under their Christmas trees!  Happy holidays and happy shopping!

Spirit Hoods (photo): Batch! Please, http://batchplease.com/a/2010/12/spirit-hoods-celebrities.jpg
Toms (photo): Toms.com,
http://images.toms.com/media/category-lifestyle/youth-glitters-1116.jpg
Wayuu Taya Bag (photo): Ecouterre,
http://www.ecouterre.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/wayuu-taya-bag-5-537×402.jpg
Justin Bieber album (photo): Celeb Gossip,
http://www.celebgossip.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/justin-bieber-xmas-1.jpg
Ciao Aria Bracelet (photo): PopSugar, http://www.shefinds.com/files/2011/11/Ciao-Aria-bracelets.jpg

Sophomore, PR major at UNC