This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Content Director

Casey Crisp (See more about this awesome lady our Meet the Executive Team!)

Staff Writers

Name

Erin Campagna

Year

Class of 2022

Major

English and Communications double major,  History minor

Hometown

Chicago, Illinois

Why do you write?

I write as an outlet for my thoughts, feelings or anything that crosses my mind that I don’t want to keep bottled up. I write to inform and to educate and to provide a different perspective on issues.

What makes Her Campus such a great platform to write on?

Her Campus is such an amazing platform to write for because I get to write about whatever I want. Even with themed weeks, we get to pick our own topics. There are no assignments and everyone is super supportive of whatever you choose to write about.

What has been your favorite experience writing for Her Campus so far?

After I published one of my more recent articles, a bunch of the other writers came up to me and said they loved it, or the related to it so much and that it was really well-written. That meant so much to me and I really appreciated it.

If you could live in any other time period, would you? Which one?

I would want to live in the 1920s because I’ve always loved the music and fashion from that era and intrigued by all of the grandeur that was hiding some serious issues.

If you could go to any concert – at any point in time – who would it be?

I would like to see the Beatles in concert at their peak, so probably in the mid-1960s. They’re one of my favorite bands and it would be so cool to see them perform together live. 

What’s the best thing that’s happened to you this year?

The best thing that’s happened to me this year is definitely getting accepted into UNC, and then choosing to come here of course!

Name

Ellie Baker

Year

Class of 2021

Major

English and Art History double major

Hometown

Raleigh, North Carolina

Why do you write?

I see writing as a chance to start a conversation with many people at once. It’s a way of reaching out and making a connection, speaking up and voicing your opinion, or just expressing how you feel and speaking that into the world. At its heart, writing is both cathartic and conversational.

I love that I get a chance to write whatever I like every other week and otherwise I get to work with a group of other such dedicated, outspoken young women.

I really love going to weekly meetings and just getting to check in with everyone and get excited about this week’s article.

What cartoon character do you relate to most?

Snoopy

A Sgt. Pepper’s Band carnival concert by the Beatles, circa 1967

Weirdest way you’ve ever been hit on?

My roommate set me up with a guy a few months ago and we started texting. We found each others’ Instagrams and his comment to that was “your pictures are really cute – you’ve got a cool Mom energy” and that was about the end of that.

Name

Emmy Barcelona

Year

Class of 2019

Major

English and Psychology double major

Hometown

Greenville, North Carolina

Why do you write?

I just love doing it! It gives me a sense of fulfillment that few things do in my life.

Her Campus’s main demographic is women in college. As a woman in college, I love reading and writing about the things that are of interest and importance to those of us in this stage of life.

I love reading the articles of the other people in my chapter; there’s always such a wide variety of topics.

Favorite Greek goddess? (or any goddess really)

Artemis

Ed Sheeran

Favorite way to eat a potato?

French fries

Name

Raquel McLeod

Year

Class of 2021

Major

Media & Journalism Major – Advertising/Public Relations

Hometown

Davidson, North Carolina

Why do you write?

I write because I like to have a creative outlet to let my thoughts flow when I need a break from school work or reality. It is a good way to escape for a little bit and focus on something I am interested in.

Her Campus is such a great platform to write on because it is a community of people going through similar things in college that can connect online and give advice to help make another persons life easier.

My favorite experience writing for Her Campus so far has been in meetings with everyone when everyone comes together to brainstorm ideas and we go off on a tangent and end up talking about something completely unrelated but it makes you realize how interesting and cool your fellow writers are and how lucky you are to be a part of Her Campus.

Celebrity crush and why?

Michael B. Jordan- he is so motivated and focused yet humble.

The best thing that has happened to me this year was meeting a bunch of people at school that I love and will hold close to my heart forever.

You have to sing karaoke, what song do you pick?

Hot n Cold by Katy Perry

Name

Isabel Uzsoy

Year

Class of 2019

Major

English & Comparative Literature and Computer Science double major

Hometown

West Lafayette, Indiana

Why do you write?

I loved reading since I was little and have always read to consume information. I write for Her Campus because I like how it keeps me writing often and about different topics.

I love the flexibility of the content we create and the breadth of the audience we can reach.

I like brainstorming new topics and events with the rest of the team.

Favorite Greek goddess is Hecate.

Do you make art? How? What kind?

Yes! I use watercolor and write and draw!

Back to Black by Amy Winehouse

Name

Ashley Oldham

Year

Class of 2020

Major

English major, Education minor

Hometown

Rockingham, North Carolina

Why do you write?

I write because writing allows me to express myself in both meaningful and creative ways.

Her Campus allows me to create content that I’m passionate about. Through both themed and non-themed weeks, I can write on topics that I enjoy and am excited to share.

My favorite experience has been sharing my content with friends and family. I’m always excited for them to read what I write and share their thoughts!

Favorite way to eat a potato?

Mashed

If you could bring back any fashion trend what would it be?

Scrunchies (which are already making a comeback)

Literally ANYTHING by Taylor Swift!

Name

Jamison McLean

Year

Class of 2020

Major

English major with a Creative Writing Concentration

Hometown

Charlotte, North Carolina

Why do you write?

I once read this Franz Kafka quote that said, “A non-writing writer is a monster courting insanity.” Okay, okay, so I’m definitely not an insane monster when I’m not writing, but I definitely relate to the tone of what he’s saying. Writing’s how I process the world around me. Pen and paper (or keyboard and screen) are my voice whether I’m working on a new manuscript, a collection of poetry, or a story for Her Campus.

Her Campus is an amazing platform to write on because it’s for women by women. Honestly, skimming through the posts feels like a talk with your bestie, and I’m so grateful I get to be one of them. There’s so much pressure in college, and it’s great to connect with campuses across the country. With Her Campus, you’re not alone.

My favorite experience writing for Her Campus so far was when I did my piece on How to Incorporate Your Style into Business Casual. It was the first piece I wrote for HC that I felt like myself on the page. I love fashion, and writing that piece, I felt like I was passing on all my business casual wisdom. That feeling’s defined all my pieces since.

I’d have to say Skips from Regular Show. While alone time is a must-have, I’m always there when my friends and family need me.

What advice would you give to yourself at age 8? 12? 16?

At 16, I would tell myself there’s a difference between niceness and kindness. Yes, always be kind, but let’s lay off on the nice. I didn’t want to hurt people’s feelings, even when they were being cruel to me. I always stood up for others, but it’s okay to stand up for yourself, too.

Who’s your writing role model?

For the past five years, Jenny Han’s been my writing role model. I had just had my first short story published when I read To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before and The Summer I Turned Pretty series, and it felt like a long, family vacation. There’s a realness in all of Jenny Han’s work that’s addictive, much like her instagram @jennyhan. She also went to UNC-Chapel Hill (I didn’t know when I applied, I swear)!

Name

Gennifer Eccles

Year

Class of 2021

Major

English and Women & Gender Studies double major

Hometown

Apex, North Carolina

Why do you write?

I write to express myself. Writing is a form of self-care for me; I can unload my feelings, share my opinions, geek out, etc. I’m not going to lie, it’s also really validating to be published every week. I used to have so much self-doubt about my writing. Writing for HC this semester has really bolstered my confidence.

HC is so inclusive and such a safe space! Everyone is so understanding and nice, and the support I receive from the team is great. I don’t feel judged about my opnion or my articles, just uplifted. Knowing that Her Campus is a magazine written by women for women allows me to be completely open with my writing. Women need spaces just for them, and I love being part of an organization that helps carve out a space for women like myself.

This is going to sound crazy, but the meetings! All of us get along really well and I love being part of such a great org. :) I’ve met some really great people and getting to hang out with everyone for 45 minutes every week is so much fun! We talk shop, of course, but I have fun doing it.

For Greek goddess…I mean, how can I pick just one? Athena and Artemis are my top two. They are so strong and smart, and really hold their own against the male gods. Back in the day when I first read the Percy Jackson series, I loved them. The idea that a female could be just as strong and smart (if not stronger and smarter) than a man was so inspiring.

I would give the same advice for myself at each age: stop thinking about other people’s opinion. Focus on being at peace with yourself.

Wannabe by the Spice Girls. No question. I may or may not have just sung this at Friendsgiving a week ago! Also, check out my post about whether the Spice Girls are feminists. I had to do the self-promo!

Name

Paige Pennebaker

Year

Class of 2021

Major

English major, Creative Writing minor

Hometown

Eden, North Carolina

Why do you write?

I write because I enjoy expressing myself and creating something that people can relate to.

Her Campus is great because it has so many chapters and people that have something to offer and being a part of that is amazing. Who knows how many people we’re reaching and providing content that is relevant to them?

I love looking at how many page views my articles get. I usually pick my next topic based on the articles people enjoyed the previous week.

Hawaiian Goddess Hina. She was so tired of being pursued by crowds that she fled to the Moon to escape the attention.

Do you make art? How? What kind?

I make art by writing fiction. It’s not always the best but it is what I created and is usually what I need in my life at the moment.

Current obsession?

My current obsession is wax melts.

Name

Maddie Ellis

Year

Class of 2022

Major

English

Hometown

Charlotte, North Carolina

Why do you write?

Sustenance: words are the food of the soul

There is so much freedom to write about what I want to explore!

Reviewing one of my favorite shows of all time, The Good Place!

Athena

Favorite teacher from high school or before?

11th grade English teacher, she was harsh but I wouldn’t be the writer I am today without her!

Queen

Name

Sabrina Berndt

Year

Class of 2019

Major

Media & Journalism and English double major

Hometown

Washington, North Carolina

Why do you write?

I write because I love keeping people informed, whether it be about pop culture or hard-hitting current events

Her Campus is a great platform because it allows writers to inform the public, while keeping articles conversational. It’s also a great community for women and other allies to come together and have conversations about current events.

My favorite experience writing for Her Campus has been just being a part of a great community of educated women with a shared interest of feminist journalism.

Current obsession?

My current obsession is the band Sylvan Esso. They’re from Durham, and they’re a great pop duo. My boyfriend showed them to me before we started dating, so they’re close to my heart.

If I could go to any concert, I would go to a Rihanna or Eminem concert. I’ve loved both artists since I was a kid, so going to a concert of theirs would be a dream. However, Eminem only tours in Europe or performs at music festivals that are too expensive for this college student’s budget. Rihanna has also never toured near me.  

Weirdest way you’ve ever been hit on?

When I was working at Walmart, a man asked me if I could take his son’s virginity. His son was 16, and I was 19 at the time. The worst part was that I could only laugh and smile, because Walmart is strict about customer service.

Name

Miranda Veal

Year

Class of 2020

Major

Media and Journalism – Advertising

Hometown

Buxton, North Carolina

Why do you write?

I love the act of storytelling and writing has always been a love of mine. You only get better at things by practicing and by doing, and this has helped me grow as a writer and as a member of the Carolina community!

It’s dedicated to empowering women through the power of words and is a safe place for people on campus to get the content they ~want~ to read.

I have loved getting to write about things that matter to me and to get know other writers and women at this university!

Current obsession?

Foreign Netflix TV dramas (everyone go watch Elite RIGHT NOW!)

My junior year AP Lang teacher was also a Tar Heel and she inspired me to pursue writing and Journalism, and for that Jordan Tomberlin, I will always be grateful!

Just keep going. You are a beautiful force the be reckoned with and you will do so many great things!

A graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Maurianna served as a Senior Editor and Marketing Publicity Director before becoming Campus Correspondent. Majoring in English with a concentration in Writing, Editing, and Digital Publication, she combines her love of words and digital design as the founder of a lifestyle blog, Anna Elle Liz, and brand + web design business, Mauri's Markups. When she’s not working, you can find her volunteering at the animal shelter, binge-watching home decor shows, or finding quaint coffee shops around town.