Her Campus UNC’s Top 10 Holiday Wish List Must-Haves

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

It’s getting to be that time of year again and if your family is anything like mine the emails asking for Christmas Lists have already been sent…three weeks ago. Regrettably, I always get threatened with coal if I don’t send a list back ASAP and so to help you lovely readers avoid this sad, dusty fate, I have compiled a list of ten gifts every collegiette needs.

1. A quilted vest

According to fellow HC UNC writer Macy’s article about fall trends, you’re already behind if you don’t have a quilted vest. Check out her article here for where to get the cutest ones (and other great must-haves!).

2. A nice pair of slippers

This may sound silly but I honestly wear my slippers every day. Whether you want a cute pair of bunnies or some real-deal moccasin style slippers, you need them. Trust me.

3. Netflix

This is a bit of an expensive gift, but it’s so worth it. Us college kids hardly have time to do all of our homework let alone watch TV when it’s actually on. Netflix is the perfect solution to the “TV-less dorm room” and “expensive cable” problems we all face. Plus, you haven’t talked to that one camp friend in years and it’s weird that you still use her dad’s Netflix. Move along, people.

4. A lovely set of hardcover classics

This goes along with the theme of growing up and moving on, having books is important! Being well read matters! Plus, when someone tells you his or her favorite book is Pride and Prejudice, the first comment out of your mouth shouldn’t be “I love that movie!” (That should be the second comment). And if you dream of having your own library one day (is that just me?), hardcover books look the best on shelves. Check out the hardcover classics from Penguin.

5. An epilator

You may have never heard of an epilator but it’s about to become your best friend. I quit shaving, it was too tedious. Then I quit waxing, too expensive. (Sorry to get personal y’all.)  Epilating is amazing. It’s like tweezing but faster (there are multiple tweezer heads) and doesn’t hurt all that much… but then again, maybe I have a high pain tolerance. Epilating lasts just as long as waxing and less hair grows back every time! Plus most epilators are rechargeable and travel easily. Check, check, and check.

Note: I prefer the Panasonic model, which can be found online.

6. A real jewelry box

It’s time to give up on the pile of tangled necklaces in a bowl on your dresser. Every self-respecting woman should have a nice jewelry box, then maybe someone will want to fill it ;)

7. State necklace

I think these state necklaces are adorable. They come in a variety of style, some have hearts for your hometown, some say the state’s name, some are nice and simple but they’re all adorable so get in on the action this holiday season.

8. Catchphrase

This is hands-down the best game to play with your friends. If you’ve never played it’s basically a more interactive version of Taboo. The handheld game is small enough that you can bring it to a party, or to your favorite wine bar around the corner (looking at you, TRU) and it’s fun for holidays with the family, too. Buy one here.

9. A stationery set

Being the involved and authoritative college women that we all are, it is important that we uphold the proper rules of etiquette, which includes corresponding the old fashioned way. You’re always going to have to write Thank You notes, especially for those of us job hunting, and personalized stationery makes the task much more enjoyable.

10. This mug.

Are there any other gifts you’ve been dying for? Or how about things you’ve been gifted and have loved? Comment below!

Megan McCluskey is a recent graduate from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a B.A. with Distinction in Journalism and Mass Communication, and a second major in French. She has experience as a Campus Correspondent and Contributing Writer for Her Campus, a Public Relations Consultant for The V Foundation, an Editorial Assistant for TV Guide Magazine and Carolina Woman magazine, a Researcher for MTV, and a Reporter and Webmaster for the Daily Tar Heel. She is an obsessive New England Patriots and Carolina basketball fan, and loves spending time with her friends and family (including her dogs), going to the beach, traveling, reading, online shopping and eating bad Mexican food.