Life > Experiences

#Gratitude: Why Showing Thanks to People in Your Life Doesn’t Have to Involve Money

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Every year, when Thanksgiving rolls around, I always try to make it a point to think about the people in my life that I’m most thankful for, and I don’t think I’m alone in doing that. In fact, I think it’s something that naturally comes to mind this time of year. I mean, it’s Thanksgiving after all; ’tis the season to give thanks to the ones you love and those that you’re grateful to have in your life.

However, as a college student, despite the fact that I have a job, I can’t really afford to show that thanks in as many monetary ways as I would really, really like to do so, and I don’t think that I’m alone in that mentality either. I always want to make a big grand gesture to show my parents how much I care. I always want to do something super elaborate (and costly) for my friends to show them just how much I treasure our friendship. In some of these instances, I can find the means to do those things, but in others, and all too often, I think I Iet money hold me back. Maybe it’s a “go big or go home” mentality, but I often find myself worried that if I can’t give or do something great, then my gesture isn’t going to mean too much at all.

All too often, I let money become the deciding factor in my determination of how much gratitude I can show to the people who I love and am thankful for the most. I don’t think I’m alone in holding this mentality either, but I do think it’s something that needs to change.

Thanksgiving and Christmas alike seem to equate love and thanks with money. They place a price on gratitude, and I fall victim to the mindset of thinking that I’m an awful person if I can’t afford to give someone as expensive a gift or showing of love as I’d like. That’s not to say that I don’t try to do so. I do save up money for this time of year. I save up so I can buy my family gifts and make elaborate meals for Thanksgiving because these things make the people that I love happy, and if they’re happy, then so am I. 

However, I don’t ever want anyone to feel bad or upset in any way because they can’t show me or anyone else gratitude through the use of money. I don’t want anyone to feel like they can’t show someone thanks this time of year because they don’t have the monetary means to do so. 

Money is a great way to find ways to give thanks to the people that you love, but it isn’t the only way. A display of gratitude can involve spending time with a person you care for just as much as it can involve giving them a gift. Showing gratitude can be giving time, small displays of affection, going to free activities, making things, spending what you can — and the list goes on. It can be anything that shows that you care because that’s what Thanksgiving is all about — showing that you care, and showing that doesn’t have to be bound by money. 

This Thanksgiving, I propose that we don’t let money keep us from giving and showing thanks and gratitude to those we love. Give what you can, do what you can, and don’t worry about all the rest, so long as you’re trying your best. Gratitude isn’t measured in monetary value, it’s measured in love.

How do you show thanks to those for whom you’re most grateful?

Ashley Oldham

Chapel Hill '20

Ashley Oldham is a senior English and Comparative Literature and Sociology double major at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. In her free time she enjoys drinking way too much coffee, attempting to write the next great American novel, and going on spontaneous road trips, all in the name of procrastinating on whatever schoolwork she currently has to do. To see what she's doing next (and get bombarded with cat pictures) follow her on Instagram @ashleyyerinno.