Wellness > Sex + Relationships

#Gratitude: Thank You to My Senior Year Roommates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Like most college students, I’ve had my fair share of bad roommates. There are some roommate horror stories I could share that I’m sure nearly everyone could relate to on some level. But now I’m three months into my senior year and I can safely say that I’ve finally hit the roommate (apartment-mate?) jackpot.

I lived in an apartment both my sophomore and junior years, and I was always in my room. I wasn’t close with my roommates, and it made me feel uncomfortable to be in any of the common rooms like the living room and kitchen. Both sophomore and junior year, my other three roommates were all good friends. Both times, I put in the effort to have a decent relationship with the people I was living with. However, they were really only interested in talking to each other, so I was always the odd one out. This meant that if I was home, I was in my room. Without fail.

Now, my room is just the place I go to once I am ready to turn in for the night. I knew the two girls I live with now before we moved in together, but we weren’t close. They were new members of my sorority, so we weren’t really friends yet. Now, after only a few months, they’re two of my closest friends. Thank you to my roommates for all the movie nights and for always being down to bake some cookies (literally SO many cookies). Thank you for making even grocery shopping fun. Thank you for always being willing to take a Target/TJ Maxx/Marshalls trip with me, regardless of the damage it inevitably does to our wallets. Thank you for always letting me vent to y’all, and thank you for making school work and studying just a bit easier. We spend the majority of our time together, and it kind of sucks to finally see what I could’ve had freshman, sophomore and junior year. But after three years of less-than-ideal living situations, I’m just so grateful that I’m ending my undergraduate years with two of the best roommates I could ever ask for. 

Emmy Barcelona

Chapel Hill '19

A senior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Emmy is majoring in English and Psychology.