Gossip Girl: The Good, The Bad and Why We Can’t Stop Watching

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

If you loved Cecily von Ziegesar’s “Gossip Girl” book series as much as I did, you were probably thrilled to hear it was being made a television series, especially with the gorgeous Blake Lively as glamorous Serena van der Woodsen. And if, like me, you enjoyed the books for following Tina Fey’s example with “Mean Girls” and for exposing the ridiculousness of gossip, rumors and high school drama; then you probably noticed the sharp divide in the show’s focus between the first two seasons and the most recent three, or the ones that involved high school and the ones set during college.

The book series ended with high school graduation, though von Ziegesar did write a follow-up novel that recounted college experiences in an attempt to reconcile the show with the books. The books were filled with wild escapades and increasingly odd plots, like Blair living in Williamsburg with Vanessa and Dan experimenting with homosexuality. Though the show’s plot is becoming a bit tired, it’s the writers’ artistic license to change the plot as they see fit. What has occurred in the show’s most recent seasons is the shift in focus from moral expose to female drama.

In Gossip Girl’s first two seasons, there was a clear message tying the episodes together: gossip is bad. The characters consistently checked the website for updates about each other and themselves, and everyone was guilty of contributing. One particular episode ended with Kristen Bell’s voiceover reciting the chilling line “I’m nothing without you.” Often, a minor or even nameless character would be shown taking a picture with their cell phone or texting their “tips” to Gossip Girl’s anonymous email account. When I told friends I had read the series, their reaction was always, “So who was it? Who’s Gossip Girl?” Questions like these completely miss the mark of what von Ziegesar intended. The point of the series is that Gossip Girl wasn’t one person. The show explained this beautifully in the Season Two finale, where Serena showed up at a bar expecting to finally find out Gossip Girl’s identity, only to find all of her classmates there. They had all contributed–everyone was Gossip Girl.

But when our favorite Upper East Siders headed to college–all in New York City, naturally–the anti-gossip message of the show faded. The site was referenced less and less often, and the voiceovers became less of a website reading and more one-line zingers, the most recent of which haven’t been all too zing-y. I knew it was over when one New York magazine writer recently said that she’s learned to “tune out” Gossip Girl’s lines, which were once the center of the show. The most recent kicker? Dan wrote an “anonymous” novel about his New York experience that sent everyone into an uproar about how they were portrayed. But, wait a minute–isn’t that what happened with the Gossip Girl website?

So why are thousands of girls across America, still watching Gossip Girl after two seasons of fluff? For me, if I start a show I’ll usually stick with it until it’s cancelled, even if it’s gone downhill (The Office, I’m looking at you), but aside from that, it’s a genuinely well-executed production. Eric Daman, the show’s stylist, has risen to fame and even a DKNY collaboration for his uncanny ability to match the characters’ personality with their attire, though I did question the decision on Eleanor and Blair’s matching khaki pants last week. Each episode begins with a New York sunrise and an upbeat alternative track. I honestly have to credit Gossip Girl for making me like Passion Pit and for introducing me to the Virgins, now one of my all-time favorite bands.

Though the jokes and story lines grow more and more forced as the show develops, it’s recognized by critics as a good work. Vulture, New York magazine’s entertainment section, has tagged Gossip Girl as “the best show of our time.” And they’ve gotten countless celebrity appearances and performances from The Airborne Toxic Event, Robyn, Rachel Zoe, Jenny and Johnny and von Ziegesar herself, among others. So they must be doing something right by keeping the show on air, though New York magazine does predict that this season will be the final one.

Here’s a list of the top lessons I’ve learned from Gossip Girl, and feel free to leave yours (or reasons why you’re still watching!) in the comments section below.

1.       There’s never a reason to complain. Blair was sleeping three hours a night, working as an editor at a Conde Nast publication and taking a full-time courseload at Columbia University, one of the most selective colleges in America. Now, what was that about your midterm next week?
2.      It’s okay to wear heels to class. I used to avoid this because I was afraid of getting weird looks, but Blair wore pumps every day in high school. If you can work it, there’s no reason to tone down your look because of what other people will think.
3.      It’s never too early to think about the future. While most of us chilled at our parents’ house during high school summers, Jenny Humphrey was designing clothes and interning at one of the most famous design houses in America. Your beach trip sounds less cool now, doesn’t it?
4.      Even perfect people make mistakes. This is the only explanation I can fathom for the chunky necklaces Serena wore in California during the Season Five premiere.
5.      Wallace Shawn is as funny as ever. I guess we already knew that from Toy Story 3, but I get excited every time he guest stars as Cyrus Rose, especially when he breaks out the “Schmutz happens” apron.

Sources:
Blair (photo): Michael Desmond / The CW, http://cwtv.com/shows/gossip-girl/photos/00626440782
Dress (photo): Giovanni Rufino / The CW, http://cwtv.com/shows/gossip-girl/photos/00616510a87

Meghan is a senior at UNC-Chapel Hill studying classics and English. She has interned at Girls' Life and Parenting magazines and was a Collegiate Correspondent with USA TODAY in Spring 2012. Meghan loves all things entertainment related and plans to move to New York and work for a national magazine after graduating in May 2013.