The Good Place: The Show You’re Not Watching but Need to Immediately

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

You’ve probably heard of Kristen Bell’s standout show by now.  Having aired back in 2016, it has been around for over two years now. But this show is still going strong. It still manages to touch our hearts and captivate our minds, so if you haven’t watched this show, it’s definitely time to start.

The Good Place is a comedy-fantasy-philosophy-science fiction hodge-podge of a television series that premiered in September 2016. The show continually receives high critical acclaim, especially after the shocking end of season one. Season two was yet another wild ride, full of unpredictable twists and turns that kept the audience guessing. Now, it’s back for season three; strap in folks because this season is already forking crazy.

The Good Place begins with Kristen Bell’s character, Eleanor Shellstrop, a margarita-mix-for-one drinking, environmentalist-hating pharmaceutical rep with no time for anything other than herself. Unfortunately, she dies. The next thing she knows, she is welcomed to the Good Place, fittingly, the afterlife for good people. She is welcomed by her immortal guide, Michael, played by a still-amazing, silver-haired Ted Danson. Michael commends her for her actions on Earth and shows the snapshots of her most meaningful actions as a humanitarian and environmental lawyer. In this utopia, where they can’t even curse, she immediately realizes, “I’m not supposed to be here. Someone made a forking huge mistake.” She finds a confidante in her supposed soulmate Chidi, played by William Jackson Harper. As a professor of ethics and moral philosophy, she asks him to help her become a better person, someone worthy of staying in the Good Place. Chidi then finds himself in one of the very moral problems he spent years debating on Earth: can goodness be taught?

What ensues is a crazy journey of equal parts philosophy and drama, but the show’s true strength lies in the ensemble. Alongside Eleanor and Chidi are Jameela Jamil as Tahani, a fabulous and rich philanthropist who never could come out of her sister’s shadow, Manny Jacinto as Jason, a Buddhist monk who took a vow of silence (or did he?), and D’arcy Carden as Janet, a feminine robot and The Good Place’s source of all knowledge.

This show questions the nature of goodness through Chidi’s lessons to Eleanor in moral philosophy and ethics. But more importantly, this show discusses the importance of friendship. It shows how people are changed by those they meet and how the people we surround ourselves with can, in fact, make us better.

So if you are in need of something heartwarming, thought-provoking and hilarious, look no further! The Good Place seasons one and two can be streamed on Netflix and Hulu, and season three can be seen on Thursdays on NBC!

Maddie Ellis

Chapel Hill '22

Maddie is a freshman at UNC. Ready to take on a new journalistic pursuit, she is so excited to join Her Campus. Maddie is an English major, and she is also involved in Carolina for the Kids #morale! Maddie loves classic literature, horoscopes, and her planner, and if she is not writing or reading, she can probably be found at a group fitness class or Chopt.