Go, Seek, Explore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

One of the greatest things about college is the accessibility it gives students to discover and explore new things. At UNC, we are given great opportunities to hear speakers and music and to see dance and theatre as a way to enrich our lives. This week alone students could have seen a performance by Blank Canvas, UNC’s largest dance group, heard the music of Tony Allen’s Afrobeat Orchestra or experienced the Playmaker’s Repetory performance of Big River, a musical based on Mark Twain’s Huckleberry Finn.

These opportunities allow us to be transported to worlds, thoughts and ideas we would have never stumbled across on our own. By enriching our lives by going to the events the University has to offer, we become more well-rounded fulfilled individuals. I took some time out of my day to go see UNC’s Modernextension Dance Company; check out the pictures below!

“Sanity in the Spin”: Modernextension dancers moved with a lightness and fragility in this ethereal show opener.

“Awaken”: Dancers twirled and contorted in this beautiful piece.

“Light Years Away”: The beat of “Intro” by The xx grounded the powerful movements of the dancers. 

Sophomore, PR major at UNC