#FoodForThought: 10 Easy Meals For A College Student On The Go

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

College life can be busy. That being said, a busy college student still has to eat! If you’re like me, these quick, easy and cheap (ALWAYS on a budget) meal ideas might speak to you and help you realize that there are so many things you can easily whip up in the kitchen, whether you’re in an apartment or a dorm!

Pretty Much Any Pasta-Based Dish

Pasta is one of the most versatile food items that I think you could cook with as a college student. The possibilities—or should I say, “pasta-bilities”—are endless.

Roasted (Frozen) Vegetables

Roasted vegetables, especially if they’re from the frozen section, can serve as a quick and easy addition to any meal. Just plop them on a pan, give them a good bit of oil, add some spices and pop them in the oven!

Eggs (In So Many Forms)

During my junior year, I realized that eggs are very cheap and easy to cook. Then, I went from being a girl who rarely cooked eggs to a girl who was boiling, scrambling and otherwise cooking eggs constantly.

Frozen Meals (From the Frozen Section)

There’s no shame in popping a frozen meal in the microwave when you’re on the run! They can be cheap, easy to make and healthy, if you’re looking at the right ones!

Macaroni and Cheese

I know, I know, I already talked about pasta, but macaroni and cheese is so easy and yummy that I think it deserves its own section. That’s just my two cents. Get it by the box, or make it yourself!

Salads

Honestly, if you keep all of the salad fixings on hand, making salads can be a super quick and easy way to fill up when you’re on the go!

Frozen Pizza

Pop a frozen pizza in the oven, sit down and do some homework. Before you know it, you’ve got an easy dinner.

Any Casserole You Could Think Of

There are so many different casserole recipes out there. Throw one together, pop it in the oven and there’s your meal!

Anything in a CrockPot

Turn it on for a few hours, while you’re doing your thing, and you can come back to a delicious meal! There are so many recipes to try!

Take Out, Anyone?

And, if all else fails, just order take out, right?

Hopefully, these meal ideas gave you some food-spiration for your next meal. Even if you’re busy, there’s bound to be something you’ll have time to whip up. Happy cooking!

Ashley Oldham

Chapel Hill '20

Ashley Oldham is a senior English and Comparative Literature and Sociology double major at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. In her free time she enjoys drinking way too much coffee, attempting to write the next great American novel, and going on spontaneous road trips, all in the name of procrastinating on whatever schoolwork she currently has to do. To see what she's doing next (and get bombarded with cat pictures) follow her on Instagram @ashleyyerinno.