Finding Time for Yourself in the College Free-for-All

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

“Caffeine stomachache.” “Unkempt eyebrows.” “Too tired to shower.”

All are responses to the question, “How do you know when to press pause?” In college, it feels like one is never doing enough. According to the UNC student organizations website, there are over 350 student organizations from which to choose. However, you must prioritize and focus on what you find truly important or risk becoming overwhelmed.

One UNC sophomore says, “To me, part of the work has to be something you care about; it makes everything else seem more manageable. I reward myself with my art homework.” Others say they use exercise, sleep and coffee as incentives to keep chugging away. Sometimes, though, another shot of espresso does more harm than good.

College students face additional pressure as they move away from home for the first time and leave behind the privacy they previously enjoyed. Dorms are a great place to meet people, especially as a freshman, but nothing compares to the freedom of doing your laundry in a towel.

“I hated running into my boyfriend’s RA on Saturday mornings as I walked home to my dorm, one UNC junior said. “It made me feel ashamed, even though I knew I had done nothing wrong.” While you may not be able to escape the judging eyes of your–or your boyfriend’s RA–there are always little ways to check out and recharge.

In college, it is important to find your own personal oasis. Whether it is your favorite study corral on the eighth floor of Davis or a secluded spot in the Arboretum, it helps to feel invisible even when you are not. You may not be able to while away a Saturday in bed, but you can watch an episode of your favorite TV show on Hulu or skip the hair straightener and opt for a baseball cap.

Ultimately, remember you have control over what you do or don’t do. Although all actions have consequences, most are relatively minor. When things do start to pile up , don’t be afraid to seek outside help. It is free to set up a counseling appointment at UNC Counseling and Wellness. They will also assist you if you decide to find a long-term counselor in the area. Often, counseling can serve as a safe way to unburden yourself, without fear of irritating or alienating your friends.

How do you know when it is time to seek outside help?
1.      You consistently have a hard time getting out of bed in the morning.
2.      You feel like you are barely treading water and that the next big wave could sweep you away.
3.      You feel unable to escape from the problems mounting around you.
4.      You feel like no one understands you.
5.      You feel unworthy or undeserving of anything better.
6.      You are having suicidal ideation.

Regardless of whether you decide counseling is the right step for you, do not be afraid of change. If that business major has been bringing you down, and journalism is your true passion – pursuit it.

To make a Wellness appointment at Campus Health Services, call: (919) 966-3658.
If you are having a psychological crisis, or it is after hours, call: (919) 966-2281.

Sources:
Girl running (photo): wordpress.com, http://ecnalab.wordpress.com/
Coker Arboretum (photo): unc.edu, http://www.unc.edu/visitors/top-destinations/index.htm
Overwhelmed woman(photo): racroundup.racshadow.org, http://racroundup.racshadow.org/2011/02/23/did-rac-adr-limits-just-change/

Sophomore, PR major at UNC