Favorite Foods of Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

The time of year has come for sweaters, scarves and changing leaves. We get to look forward to Fall Break, Thanksgiving and football. As college students, we can finally start thinking about basketball season and Homecoming. Just another one of the bonuses this fall is the great foods to make you feel exactly how you should this time of year: cozy, overwhelmingly happy and at home. Try these great fall picks from some of your favorite places to eat in Chapel Hill:

1. Panera Bread:
The Pumpkin Cookie, a pumpkin-shaped shortbread cookie decorated with icing, is to die for. Another awesome bakery item is the Apple Crunch Muffin, which has apple and cinnamon chunks and a delicious cinnamon sugar topping. Also, don’t miss the Steak Chili with Cornbread, another perfect combo for a chilly day.

2. Noodles and Company: The classic Wisconsin Mac & Cheese is the perfect meal to remind you of being a kid at home–this is not just your regular mac & cheese! The Penne Rosa is also a great fall treat with spicy tomato cream sauce, pasta, tomato, mushrooms, spinach, and parmesan or feta cheese. Try it with parmesan-crusted chicken for extra flavor. The small bowl is only 410 calories, too!

3. R & R Grill:
The Crispy Chicken Tenders are THE BEST chicken tenders you will ever eat. They’re breaded and fried to a crispy, golden brown. Make sure you get the honey mustard sauce to go with them, too! The pub fries are also great fall treats. If you’re into seafood, try the Seafood Alfredo which has crab, shrimp and salmon along with creamy alfredo sauce and Romano cheese.

4. McAlister’s Deli: The Sweet Chipotle Chicken grilled sandwich and Veggie Spud combo is the perfect meal for a cool fall day. As a matter of fact, any of the McAlister’s baked potatoes are delicious and will leave you completely satisfied. Also, try the Cheddar Potato soup or the White Chicken Chili in a bread bowl.

5. Sugarland: If you haven’t already been to this wonderful bakery, this fall is the time to do it. Between their cakes, cupcakes, cookies and gelato, everyone is guaranteed to find something to satisfy their sweet tooth. Some of the best fall cupcakes are the Apple Cobbler, Pumpkin Chocolate Chip, Red Velvet and Toasted Coconut.

These are just a few examples of all the great food items Chapel Hill has to offer for fall. Although this is the time of year where school gets stressful and our schedules get crazy, take a study break and enjoy the company of your friends and good food; it will make this fall one to remember.

Photos:
Cupcake (photo): Sugarland Cupcakes, http://sugarlandcupcakesbyliz.com/
Pumpkin cookie (photo): Triblocal, http://triblocal.com/buffalo-grove/calendar/2010/10/23/panera-bread-mini-pumpkin-decorating/
Chicken tenders (photo): Nancy’s Kitchen, http://www.nancyskitchen.com/frenchs-mustard-recipes/crunchy-onion-tenders-recipe.html

Sophomore, PR major at UNC