Fast-food Forecast for 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

The restaurant industry is undergoing a major overhaul as we know it. As millennials grow in number, fast-food chains have been quick to notice the shifting American demographic. Restaurants are implementing new menu ideas, creating online and mobile ordering systems and rolling out modern advertising campaigns to attract more customers.

I’m highlighting some of the hottest trends in America’s most popular fast-food chains that you’ll definitely want to look out for in 2015.

McDonald’s is lovin’ some change!

Everyone in the media has been buzzing about McDonald’s recently. As overall restaurant sales have decreased throughout the past few months, the fast-food chain was forced to regroup and strategize. And strategize it did. McDonald’s rolled out a brand new marketing campaign, and in one commercial the chain makes light of new health trends saying (about its burger): “You can’t get juiciness like this from soy or quinoa! This is not Greek yogurt.” McDonald’s is all about “Lovin’ > Hatin.’”

In addition to new marketing the company will be revamping its menu. Items such as the Premium Chicken Club Sandwich, Honey Mustard Snack Wrap and the Bacon and Cheese Quarter Pounder will no longer be served. The chain appears to be catering to a new audience that wants simplicity and, most importantly, choice.  

In a handful of stores across the country McDonald’s is testing a new “Create Your Taste” customized sandwich option. Essentially customers pick and choose exactly what they want on their burger, chicken sandwich, etc. from a tablet, bypassing the traditional order counter. With so many hot (and relatively healthier) burger joints on the market already – think Five Guys or Shake Shack – only time will tell if McDonald’s can keep up with its competitors.

Panera Bread launches new menu items

I have to disclose that I’m a regular customer at Panera. That being said, I recently noticed some changes taking place at my favorite fast-casual chain.

Panera has completely revamped its menu, and it now includes Broth Bowls, an Asian-inspired dish that can be ordered with ingredients like quinoa, kale and chicken or soba noodles and edamame. You’ll have to try one for yourself to experience this unique flavor combination, but overall I applaud the restaurant’s efforts to experiment with something new.

Did you know that Panera has a secret “Power Menu” too? It’s filled with healthy options like their Power Chicken Hummus Bowl, Power Breakfast Egg White Bowl and a new Power Almond Quiona Oatmeal. Panera totally understands the health craze in America today, and it is catering to its variety of customers by releasing new menu items every few months.

And if you’re in a rush, Panera understands! The company recently launched a “Quick Pick-Up” ordering system online, and in some markets it is testing mobile ordering from its app. Panera wasn’t the only company with this idea either. Starbucks will be launching a similar ordering system this year, and there are rumors that the coffee chain will begin coffee delivery in the coming months. Who said America doesn’t run on coffee?

Other restaurant chains experiment with new items

Love fast-food but you’re vegetarian? Chipotle is here for you. The restaurant chain just released an organic tofu Sofritas – basically a burrito filled with shredded, chipotle-braised tofu. If that’s too spicy for your taste buds, White Castle just launched a vegan slider!

But meat-lovers fear not. KFC has you covered with its new Double Down Dog sandwich. Because who doesn’t love a hot dog smothered in mustard and wrapped in fried chicken instead of bread? Honestly.

2015 is the year for new trends in the world of fast-food and fast-casual dining. Vegan crazes and wacky food concoctions aside, it ultimately boils down to what the customer wants. McDonald’s has perhaps been hit the hardest by a changing American demographic, but the restaurant chain that’s been around for decades is not giving up without a fight.

The most important trends to look for in the year ahead: speedier service overall, increasing mobile platforms and tons of new menu items! This year will be a tasty one for sure.

Lauren is a junior at UNC-Chapel Hill, majoring in business journalism with a minor in Spanish for the business professions. In addition to writing for HerCampus, Lauren is an assistant for Talking Biz News, a website for business journalists, where she helps curate content and raise money for the organization. Lauren also enjoys volunteering at the University Baptist Church and at La ISLA, an organization for Spanish-speaking children in her community. Some of Lauren's favorite pasttimes include running, traveling, cooking, eating new foods and writing.