Fall Out of Summer with Bright Colors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

As the summer season comes to an end, brights and whites are exchanged for darker shades and plaid, making way for shorter days and colder nights. And as much as we all love unpacking the riding boots and fall coats, there is a sense of nostalgia for summer while storing away that last beachy frock. Despite the “rules” of bright colors belonging in the spring and summer months, there are a few shortcuts to holding onto those last few lively hues as fashion transitions into its chillier days.

A not so well kept secret is: the cardigan. Its warm, sweater-like feel make it appropriate for the fall weather. And the best part is, the cardigan is often conveniently disguised in the colors we love so much from our carefree summer days. As the leaves fall to the ground and the sun starts setting a little earlier, there is nothing sweeter than throwing on a light cardigan in a color that reminds us of warmer nights. Pairing a bright piece with fall touches, such as chambray and forest greens, pulls the outfit together for a classic look with a little flair.

While the cardigan is a perfect, early transition, a heavier blazer takes over with colder weather. But why strictly stick to plaid layers and brown tweeds? Take a walk on the wild side and try out that orange blazer that has been sitting in your closet, yet you haven’t quite found the perfect ensemble to pair it with. A dark wash jean and classic loafer wrap this look up for a crisp, fall afternoon out on the town.

Let’s not try and lie about it, there is only so much to work with the whole blue jean denim look. And eventually trying to find a perfect pair of tights to match that tweed skirt can become slightly tiresome. So, why not whip out those colored jeans you so recently stashed away? A heavy cable knit and dark shoe can take a summer pant straight into fall with ease.

Take a risk this season and hold on to the lively colors! Who says you have to stash it all away? Bring some life to your look as the trees lose their leaves and you’ll never go wrong.

Sara Ingraham is a junior at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill where she is pursuing a Political Science and English double major. She is a Kappa Kappa Gamma. She represents the Panhellenic Community as the Vice President of Special Events. Her free time is full of running, tennis, hiking, fashion, and traveling. Sara has lived all over the country, but has a love for the East Coast. Any afternoon with "When Harry Met Sally" and a good book is an afternoon well spent.
Megan McCluskey is a recent graduate from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a B.A. with Distinction in Journalism and Mass Communication, and a second major in French. She has experience as a Campus Correspondent and Contributing Writer for Her Campus, a Public Relations Consultant for The V Foundation, an Editorial Assistant for TV Guide Magazine and Carolina Woman magazine, a Researcher for MTV, and a Reporter and Webmaster for the Daily Tar Heel. She is an obsessive New England Patriots and Carolina basketball fan, and loves spending time with her friends and family (including her dogs), going to the beach, traveling, reading, online shopping and eating bad Mexican food.